46 CFR 11.309 - Coast Guard-accepted training other than approved courses.
(1) Provide evidence of seagoing service as follows:
(i) Thirty-six months of seagoing service in the deck department on vessels operating in oceans, near-coastal waters, and/or Great Lakes. Service on inland waters, bays, or sounds that are navigable waters of the United States may be substituted for up to 50 percent of the total required service; or
(ii) Twelve months of seagoing service as part of an approved training program, which includes onboard training that meets the requirements of Section A-II/1 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference, see § 11.102 of this part);
(2) Provide evidence of having performed, during the required seagoing service, bridge watchkeeping duties under the supervision of an officer holding the STCW endorsement as master, chief mate, second mate, or OICNW, for a period of not less than 6 months;
(4) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following subject areas:
(i) Medical first-aid provider.
(ii) Radar observer.
(iii) Search and rescue.
(iv) Basic and advanced firefighting in accordance with § 11.303 of this subpart.
(vi) Visual signaling.
(vii) Bridge resource management (BRM).
(viii) Terrestrial and celestial navigation, and electronic navigation systems.
(ix) Watchkeeping, including International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGS) and IMO standard marine communication phrases (SMCP).
(x) Cargo handling and stowage.
(xi) Ship handling.
(xii) Stability and ship construction.
(xiv) ARPA, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(xv) GMDSS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(xvi) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(1) Evidence of meeting the standard of competence in leadership and teamworking skills.
(2) Completion of approved training in ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(d) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-II/1 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.
Table 1 to § 11.309(e) - STCW Endorsement as OICNW of Vessels of 500 GT or More
|Entry path from national endorsements||Sea service under authority of the endorsement 1||Competence - STCW Table A-II/2 2||Training required by this
|Mate ocean or near-coastal, unlimited tonnage||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Master ocean or near-coastal, less than 500 GRT||6 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate ocean or near-coastal, less than 1,600 GRT||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate ocean or near-coastal, less than 500 GRT||12 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate OSV||12 months 1||Yes||Yes.|
|Mate towing vessel ocean or near-coastal||6 months||Yes||Yes.|
Title 46 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 11 after this date.
- 46 CFR 11.463 — General Requirements for National Endorsements as Master, Mate (Pilot), and Apprentice Mate (Steersman) of Towing Vessels.
- 46 CFR 11.406 — Service Requirements for Second Mate of Ocean or Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Unlimited Tonnage.
- 46 CFR 11.421 — Service Requirements for Mate of Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Less Than 500 GRT.
- 46 CFR 11.414 — Service Requirements for Mate of Ocean Self-Propelled Vessels of Less Than 1,600 GRT.
- 46 CFR 11.420 — Service Requirements for Mate of Ocean Self-Propelled Vessels of Less Than 500 GRT.
- 46 CFR 11.497 — Mate (OSV).
- 46 CFR 11.407 — Service Requirements for Third Mate of Ocean or Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Unlimited Tonnage.
- 46 CFR 11.416 — Service Requirements for Mate of Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Less Than 1,600 GRT.
- 46 CFR 11.418 — Service Requirements for Master of Ocean or Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Less Than 500 GRT.
- 46 CFR 11.465 — Requirements for National Endorsements as Mate (Pilot) of Towing Vessels.