46 CFR 11.501 - Grade and type of engineer endorsements issued.
(a) National engineer endorsements are issued in the grades of -
(1) Chief engineer;
(3) Second assistant engineer;
(4) Third assistant engineer;
(5) Chief engineer (limited);
(6) Assistant engineer (limited);
(7) Designated duty engineer;
(8) Chief engineer uninspected fishing industry vessels;
(9) Assistant engineer uninspected fishing industry vessels;
(10) Chief engineer (MODU);
(11) Assistant engineer (MODU);
(12) Chief engineer (OSV); and
(13) Assistant engineer (OSV).
(b) Engineer endorsements issued in the grades of chief engineer (limited) and assistant engineer (limited) of steam, motor, and/or gas turbine-propelled vessels allow the holder to serve within any propulsion power limitations on vessels of unlimited tonnage on inland waters and of less than 1,600 GRT in ocean, near-coastal, or Great Lakes service in the following manner:
(2) Assistant engineer (limited) may serve on ocean and near-coastal waters.
(c) Engineer licenses or MMC endorsements issued in the grades of designated duty engineer of steam, motor, and/or gas turbine-propelled vessels allow the holder to serve within stated propulsion power limitations on vessels of less than 500 GRT in the following manner:
(1) Designated duty engineers limited to vessels of less than 1,000 HP or 4,000 HP may serve only on near-coastal or inland waters.
(2) Designated duty engineers-unlimited may serve on any waters.
(d) An engineer officer's license or MMC endorsement authorizes service on steam, motor, or gas turbine-propelled vessels or may authorize all modes of propulsion.
(e) A person holding an engineer license or MMC endorsement that is restricted to near-coastal waters may serve within the limitations of the license or MMC upon near-coastal, Great Lakes, and inland waters.
Title 46 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 11 after this date.