46 CFR § 128.130 - Vital systems.
(a) Vital systems are those systems that are vital to a vessel's survivability and safety. For the purpose of this subchapter, the following are vital systems:
(1) Systems for fill, transfer, and service of fuel oil.
(2) Fire-main systems.
(3) Fixed gaseous fire-extinguishing systems.
(4) Bilge systems.
(5) Ballast systems.
(6) Steering systems and steering-control systems.
(7) Propulsion systems and their necessary auxiliaries and control systems.
(8) Systems for transfer and control of cargo, for integral tanks or fixed independent tanks, in compliance with § 125.110 of this subchapter.
(9) Ship's service and emergency electrical-generation systems and their auxiliaries vital to the vessel's survivability and safety.
(b) For the purpose of this subchapter, a system not identified by paragraph (a) of this section is a non-vital system.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.