46 CFR § 153.10 - Procedures for requesting alternatives and waivers; termination of waivers.
(a) The Coast Guard considers allowing the use of an alternative in place of a requirement in this part if -
(i) The requirement in this part that would not be met and the reason why;
(ii) The alternative the person proposes to be substituted; and
(iii) How the alternative would ensure a level of safety and pollution protection at least equal to that of the requirement for which the alternative would substitute;
(2) The alternative does not substitute an operational standard for a design or equipment standard; and
(3) The Commandant (CG-ENG) determines that the alternative provides a level of protection for purposes of safety and pollution at least equal to the requirement in this part.
(b) The Coast Guard considers granting a waiver of a requirement for which this part allows a waiver if the person wishing the waiver sends a written application to the Commandant (CG-ENG) that includes -
(1) A citation of the regulation that allows the waiver; and
(2) Any information and pledges that the regulation requires to be submitted with the application for the waiver.
(c) The Commandant notifies the applicant in writing -
(1) Whether any further information is necessary to evaluate the request for an alternative or waiver; and
(2) Of the outcome of the request for an alternative or waiver.
(d) A waiver issued under this part terminates if any -
(1) Information required to be supplied with the application for the waiver changes;
(2) Pledges required to be supplied with the application for the waiver are repudiated;
(3) Restrictions or procedures applying to operations under the waiver are violated; or
(4) Requirements in the section of this part authorizing the waiver are violated.