46 CFR 160.031-5 - Approval and production tests.
(a) Approval test. An independent laboratory accepted by the Commandant under § 159.010 of this chapter must test an appliance in accordance with the operational test in paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) Production inspections and tests. Production inspections and tests of each appliance must be conducted under the procedures in § 159.007 of this chapter. Each appliance which fails the inspections and tests must not be represented as meeting this Subpart or as being approved by the Coast Guard.
(1) Inspections and tests by the manufacturer. The manufacturer's quality control procedures must include the inspection of appliances during production as well as inspection of finished appliances to determine that the appliances are being produced in accordance with the approved plans. Each appliance must be tested in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section except that the projectile may be fired without a service line attached, and the distance and deviation do not have to be measured.
(2) Inspections and test by an independent laboratory. An independent laboratory accepted by the Commandant under § 159.010 of this chapter must inspect and test one appliance at least once each year. The inspection must determine that the appliances are being produced in accordance with the approved plans. The test must be in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section.
(1) Three rounds must be fired by the gun, at least one of which must be with a service line attached to a projectile.
(2) The projectile must be fired first by aiming it down an open course, and measuring the distance and deviation of the projectile.
(4) The distance and deviation of the projectile must be in accordance with § 160.031-3(d) the gun must fire each round properly and the gun must not be fractured or damaged by the test.
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.