46 CFR 160.052-6 - Construction - nonstandard vests.
(a)General. The construction methods used for nonstandard buoyant vests must be equivalent to those requirements in § 160.052-5 for a standard vest and also meet the requirements in this section.
(b)Size. Each nonstandard vest must contain the following volume of plastic foam buoyant material, determined by the displacement method:
(1) Five hundred cubic inches or more for an adult size;
(2) Three hundred and fifty cubic inches or more for a child, medium size;
(3) Two hundred and twenty-five cubic inches or more for a child, small size.
(c)Arrangement of buoyant material. The buoyant material in a nonstandard vest must:
(1) Be arranged to hold the wearer in an upright or backward position with head and face out of water;
(2) Have no tendency to turn a wearer face downward in the water; and
(3) Be arranged so that 70 to 75 percent of the total is located in the front of the vest.
(d)Neck opening. Each cloth-covered nonstandard vest must have at the neck opening:
(1) A gusset; or
(2) Reinforcing tape.
(e)Adjustment, fit, and donning. Each nonstandard vest must be made with adjustments to:
(1) Fit a range of wearers for the type designed; and
(2) Facilitate donning time for an uninitiated person.
Title 46 published on 09-May-2017 04:27
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 160 after this date.