46 CFR 160.077-17 - Construction and Performance
(1) Be able to pass the tests in § 160.077-21;
(3) When worn inflated, have a visible external surface area of at least 1300 sq. cm (200 sq. in.) in front and 450 sq. cm (70 sq. in.) in back that are primarily vivid reddish orange as defined by sections 13 and 14 of the “Color Names Dictionary”;
(4) Have at least one inflation chamber, except that a hybrid PFD approved as a SOLAS lifejacket must have at least two inflation chambers;
(8) If approved for adults, be universally sized as specified in § 160.077-15(b)(7).
(9) Commercial hybrid PFDs employing closures with less than 1600 N (360 lb) strength, must have at least two closures that meet UL 1517, Section 22.1.
(10) Each commercial hybrid PFD must have an attachment for a PFD light securely fastened to the front shoulder area. The location should be such that if the light is attached it will not damage or impair the performance of the PFD.
(11) In the deflated and the inflated condition, provide buoyancies of at least the values in Table 160.077-17(b)(11).
|Inherent buoyancy (deflated condition):|
|Type I||70 N (15.5 lb)||50 N (11 lb)||40 N (9 lb)|
|Type V||60 N (13 lb)||34 N (7.5 lb)||N/A|
|Total buoyancy (inflated condition):|
|Type I||130 N (30 lb)||80 N (18 lb)||67 N (15 lb)|
|Type V||100 N (22 lb)||67 N (15 lb)||N/A|
[CGD 78-174, 50 FR 33928, Aug. 22, 1985, as amended by CGD 78-174, 60 FR 2487, Jan. 9, 1995]
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.