46 CFR 160.077-21 - Approval Testing
(a) General. This section contains commercial hybrid PFD approval tests. The provisions of § 160.077-19(a) apply to each test in this section.
(b) Tests. Each test prescribed in § 160.077-19(b), except the tests in paragraphs (b)(2), (b)(3)(i), (b)(3)(ii), and (b)(6), must be conducted and passed.
(c) Additional tests. Each PFD design must also be tested according to the procedures in the following tests and meet the requirements in these tests:
(1) Jump test, UL 1517, section S6 for Adult size. Youth and Small Child sizes are exempt from this test.
(2) In-water removal, UL 1517, section S9 for Adult and Youth sizes. The Small Child size is exempt from this test.
(3) Buoyancy and inflation medium retention test, UL 1517, Section S10, except the minimum buoyancies must be as specified in the Table 160.077-17(b)(11):
(4) Flotation stability.
(i) Uninflated flotation stability, UL 1517, section S7, except that for Type I devices the requirements of paragraph S7.1.A apply to all subjects regardless of their in-water weight. For Type V adult-size devices the requirements of paragraph S7.1.A apply to all adult subjects having an in-water weight of 13 lb or less, and the requirements of paragraph S7.1.B apply to all other adult subjects.
- If the freeboard of a test subject is close to zero, caution must be taken to prevent the subject from inhaling water. The subject may use lightweight breathing aids to avoid inhaling water.
(5) Flotation stability - youths and small children.
(i) Uninflated flotation stability, UL 1517, section S7, except that the requirements of paragraph S7.1.A apply to all subjects regardless of their in-water weight.
(ii) Righting action test, UL 1517, Section 15.3 through 15.13, for Youth and Small Child hybrid PFDs except comparisons are to be made to the appropriate size and type reference vest as defined in § 160.077-2(j).
(d) Flotation Stability Criteria. At the end of the righting action test -
(2) The subject when floating in the stable flotation position and looking to the side, must be able to see -
(i) The water no more than 3 m (10 ft.) away; or
(ii) A mark on a vertical scale no higher than the lowest mark which can be viewed when floating in the same position in the reference vest defined in § 160.077-3(j).
(3) Each adult test subject must have a freeboard of at least:
(e) Visual Examination. One complete PFD must be visually examined for compliance with the requirements of § 160.077-15 and § 160.077-17.
(f) Inflation Chamber Properties. If the tests in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section are completed successfully, the tests in § 160.077-19(d) must be run.
(g) The Commandant may prescribe additional tests, if necessary, to approve unique or novel designs.