46 CFR 160.077-31 - PFD Marking.
(a) General. Each hybrid PFD must be marked with the applicable information required by this section. Each marking must be waterproof, clear, permanent, and readable from a distance of three feet.
(b) Prominence. Each marking, other than the text in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section, must be significantly less prominent and in smaller print than paragraph (c) and (d) text.
(c) Recreational Hybrid PFD. Each recreational hybrid PFD must be marked with the following text using capital letters where shown and be presented in the exact order shown:
Recreational hybrid inflatable - Approved for use only on recreational boats. [For Type V only] REQUIRED TO BE WORN to meet Coast Guard carriage requirements (except for persons in enclosed spaces as explained in owner's manual).
A Pamphlet and Owner's Manual must be provided with this PFD.
(d) Type I and Commercial Hybrid PFD. Each Type I hybrid PFD intended for recreational use and each commercial hybrid PFD must be marked with the following text using capital letters where shown and be presented in the exact order shown:
(e) All PFD's. Each hybrid PFD must also be marked with the following information below the text required by paragraph (c) or (d) of this section:
(1) U.S. Coast Guard Approval Number (insert assigned approval number).
(2) Manufacturer's or private labeler's name and address.
(3) Lot Number.
(4) Date, or year and calendar quarter, of manufacture.
(5) Necessary vital care or use instructions, if any, such as the following:
(i) Warning against dry cleaning.
(ii) Size and type of inflation medium cartridges required.
(iii) Specific donning instructions.
(f) Identification of User. Each hybrid PFD must have adequate space within which to mark the name or other identification of the intended user.
(g) Flotation material buoyancy loss. When kapok flotation material is used, the statement “ - REPLACE PFD IF PADS BECOME STIFF OR WATERLOGGED.” must follow the warning “ - TRY THIS PFD IN THE WATER EACH SEASON TO SEE IF IT WILL FLOAT YOU WITHOUT INFLATION.” required by paragraph (c) or (d) of this section.
(h) Type equivalence. The exact text to be inserted for Type V hybrid PFDs will be one of the following type equivalents as noted on the Approval Certificate.
(j) Approved use. Unless the Commandant has authorized omitting the display of approved use, the exact text to be inserted will be one or more of the following statements as noted on the approval certificate:
(1) “all recreational boats and on uninspected commercial vessels”
(2) “all recreational boats and on uninspected commercial vessels. REQUIRED TO BE WORN to meet Coast Guard carriage requirements (except for persons in enclosed spaces as explained in owner's manual)”
(3) “inspected commercial vessels as a WORK VEST only.”
(4) “[Insert exact text of special purpose or limitation and vessel(s) or vessel type(s), noted on approval certificate].”
(k) Size Ranges. The exact text to be inserted will be one of the following statements as noted on the approval certificate:
(1) ADULT - For persons weighing more than 40 kg (90 lb).
(2) YOUTH - For persons weighing 23-40 kg (50-90 lb).
(3) CHILD SMALL - For persons weighing 14-23 kg (30-50 lb).
(4) “[Other text noted on approval certificate].”