46 CFR 160.170-9 - Preapproval review.
(b)Manufacturer requirements. To seek Coast Guard approval of a release mechanism, the manufacturer must submit an application to the Commandant meeting the requirements of 46 CFR 159.005-5 for preapproval review. To meet the requirements of 46 CFR 159.005-5(a)(2), the manufacturer must submit in triplicate -
(1) A list of drawings, specifications, manuals, and any other documentation submitted, with each document identified by number, title, revision issue, and date;
(2) General arrangement and assembly drawings, including principal dimensions;
(3) Stress calculations for all load carrying parts, including the release hooks, release mechanisms, and connections;
(4) Hydraulic systems drawings and specifications, if installed;
(5) Drawings of all signs and placards showing actual inscription, format, color, and size;
(6) An operation, maintenance, and training manual as described in §§ 160.170-19 and 160.170-21 of this subpart;
(7) A description of the quality control procedures and recordkeeping that will apply to the production of the release mechanism, which must include but is not limited to -
(i) The system for checking material certifications received from suppliers;
(ii) The method for controlling the inventory of materials;
(iii) The method for checking quality of fabrication and joints, including welding inspection procedures; and
(8) Full details of any other unique capability;
(9) Any other drawing(s) necessary to show that the release mechanism complies with the requirements of this subpart;
(10) The location or address of all manufacturing sites, including the name and address of any subcontractors, where the release mechanism will be constructed; and
(c) At the request of the manufacturer and discretion of the Commandant, an independent laboratory may conduct preapproval review required by this section, so long as the preapproval review is conducted in accordance with the procedures agreed upon between the independent laboratory and Commandant under 46 CFR part 159, subpart 159.010.
(1) Be provided in English, including all notes, inscriptions, and designations for configuration control;
(2) Address each of the applicable items in paragraph (b) of this section in sufficient detail to show that the release mechanism meets the construction requirements of this subpart;
(3) Accurately depict the proposed automatic release hook;
(4) Be internally consistent;
(5) Be legible; and
(e)Alternatives. Alternatives in materials, parts, or construction, and each item replaced by an alternative, must be clearly indicated as such in the plans and specifications submitted to the Commandant under this section.
(f)Coast Guard review. If the plans or specifications do not comply with the requirements of this section, Coast Guard review may be suspended, and the applicant notified accordingly.
Title 46 published on 09-May-2017 04:27
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 160 after this date.