46 CFR 160.176-1 - Scope.
(a) This subpart contains structural and performance standards and procedures for approval of inflatable lifejackets, as well as requirements for associated manuals, servicing programs, and shore-side service facilities.
(b) Other regulations in this chapter provide that inflatable lifejackets must be:
(1) Serviced annually at designated servicing facilities; and
(2) Maintained in accordance with their user manuals.
(c) Inflatable lifejackets approved under this subpart -
(1) Rely entirely upon inflation for buoyancy;
(2) Meet the requirements for lifejackets in the 1983 Amendments to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS 74/83);
(3) Have performance equivalent to Type I Personal Flotation Devices (PFD's) with any one chamber deflated; and
(4) Are designed to be worn by adults.
Title 46 published on 09-May-2017 04:27
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 160 after this date.