46 CFR 175.110 - General applicability.
(a) Except as in paragraph (b) of this section, this subchapter applies to each vessel of less than 100 gross tons that carries 150 or less passengers, or has overnight accommodations for 49 or less passengers, and that -
(1) Carries more than six passengers, including at least one for hire;
(2) Is chartered with a crew provided or specified by the owner or the owner's representative and is carrying more than six passengers;
(3) Is chartered with no crew provided or specified by the owner or the owner's representative and is carrying more than 12 passengers; or
(4) If a submersible vessel, carries at least one passenger for hire; or
(5) Is a ferry carrying more than six passengers.
For a vessel of less than 100 gross tons that carries more than 150 passengers or has overnight accommodations for more than 49 passengers, see subchapter K of this chapter.
(b) This subchapter does not apply to:
(1) A vessel operating exclusively on inland waters that are not navigable waters of the United States;
(2) An oceanographic research vessel;
(3) A boat forming part of a vessel's lifesaving equipment and that is not used for carrying passengers except in emergencies or during emergency drills;
(4) A vessel of a foreign country that is a party to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974, as amended (SOLAS), to which the United States Government is currently a party, and that has on board a current valid SOLAS Passenger Ship Safety Certificate; or
(5) A vessel of a foreign country, whose government has inspection laws approximating those of the United States and that by its laws accords similar privileges to vessels of the United States, which has on board a current valid certificate of inspection, permitting the carrying of passengers, issued by its government.