46 CFR 221.13 - General approval.
(a)Transactions other than transfer of registry or operation under authority of a foreign country.
(1) The Maritime Administrator hereby grants the approval required by 46 U.S.C. 56101 for the sale, lease, Charter, delivery, or any other manner of Transfer to a Noncitizen of an interest in or control of a Documented Vessel owned by a Citizen of the United States or a vessel the last documentation of which was under the laws of the United States except:
(ii) As limited by § 221.15(d) of this part for sales for scrapping;
(2) The approvals granted by paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall not apply to any such Transfer proposed to be made during any period when the United States is at war or during any national emergency, the existence of which has invoked the provisions of section 37 of the Shipping Act, 1916, as amended (46 App. U.S.C. 835), or to any such Transfer proposed to be made to a citizen of any country when such transfer would be contrary to the foreign policy of the United States as declared by an executive department of the United States.
(3) An information copy of any sales agreement, bareboat or demise Charter entered into pursuant to this approval shall be submitted to the Vessel Transfer Officer not later than thirty days following a request by that official.
(4) Except for Charters to Noncitizens of documented bulk cargo vessels engaged in carrying bulk raw and processed agricultural commodities from the United States to ports in the geographic area formerly known as the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, or to other permissible ports of discharge for transshipment to the geographic area formerly known as the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, pursuant to an operating- differential subsidy agreement that is consistent with the requirements of 46 CFR parts 252 and 294, this approval excludes and does not apply to Transfers to a Person who is subject, directly or indirectly, to control of an entity within any country listed by the Department of Commerce in 15 CFR part 740, Supplement 1, Country Group E, unless such transferee is an individual who has been lawfully admitted into, and resides in, the United States, or to Charters for the carriage of cargoes of any kind to or from, or for commercial operation while within the waters of (as distinct from passage through), any of these countries. This list of countries is subject to change from time to time. Information concerning current restrictions may be obtained from the Vessel Transfer Officer.
(2) The Maritime Administrator hereby grants approval for the time charter of a Documented Vessel of any tonnage by a Citizen of the United States to a Bowaters Corporation for operation in the coastwise trade, subject to the following conditions:
(i) If non-self-propelled or, if self-propelled and less than 500 gross tons, no such vessel shall engage in the fisheries or in the transportation of merchandise or passengers for hire between points in the United States embraced within the coastwise laws except as a service for a parent or subsidiary corporation; and
(A) At prevailing rates;
(B) For use otherwise than in the domestic noncontiguous trades;
(C) To a common or contract carrier subject to part 3 of the Interstate Commerce Act, as amended, which otherwise qualifies as a Citizen of the United States and which is not connected, directly or indirectly, by way of ownership or control with such corporation.
Title 46 published on 09-May-2017 04:27
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 221 after this date.