46 CFR 296.21 - Participating Fleet Vessels.
(a)Priority. To the extent that appropriated funds are available after applying the first priority, tank vessels, in § 296.20, the second priority is applicable to Participating Fleet Vessels.
(b)Number of MSP Operating Agreements. MARAD will not enter into more than 47 MSP Operating Agreements for Participating Fleet Vessels.
(c)Reduction of Participating Fleet Vessel MSP Operating Agreements. The number of MSP Operating Agreements available to Participating Fleet Vessels shall be reduced by one for:
(2) Each Participating Fleet Vessel for which an application for enrollment in the MSP is received by the Secretary, Maritime Administration on October 15, 2004, but the application is not approved by the Secretary of Transportation and the SecDef by January 12, 2005.
(d)Authority to Enter into an MSP Operating Agreement.
(1) Applications for inclusion of a Participating Fleet Vessel under the priority in paragraph (a) of this section will be accepted only from a person that has authority to enter into an MSP Operating Agreement for the vessel with respect to the full term of the MSP Operating Agreement. Applicants must certify that they have the requisite authority as of October 1, 2005 and for the full period of the MSP Operating Agreement thereafter and provide the basis on which they rely for such certification, such as a copy of a vessel title of ownership or a demise charter that remains in effect until September 30, 2015.
(2) The full term of the MSP Operating Agreement is the period from October 1, 2005 through September 30, 2015. If a vessel proposed to be included in the MSP will become ineligible for the program prior to September 30, 2015, due to vessel age restrictions, then the full term of the MSP Operating Agreement for that vessel for purposes of paragraph (d)(1) of this section is the period the vessel meets the applicable age restrictions. MARAD may still award an MSP Operating Agreement through September 30, 2015, to an applicant having authority to enter into an MSP Operating Agreement for a vessel whose age eligibility expires before that date. For companies requesting an age waiver, the Applicant must submit an appropriate replacement vessel at least 120 days prior to the date of expiration of age eligibility.
(3) For the purposes of paragraph (d)(1) of this section, in the case of a vessel that is subject to a demise charter that terminates by its terms on September 30, 2005 (without giving effect to any extension provided therein for completion of a voyage or to effect the actual redelivery of the vessel), or that is terminable at will by the owner of the vessel after such date, only the owner of the vessel (provided the owner of the vessel is a “person” as defined in § 296.2) shall be treated as having the authority referred to in paragraph (d)(1) of this section.
(4) If two or more applicants claim authority for the same vessel, the Secretary may request additional information bearing on the issue of which party has authority to enter into an MSP Operating Agreement, and the Secretary shall, in his/her sole discretion, decide the matter as he/she deems appropriate.
(e) During the 30-month period commencing October 1, 2005, the age restrictions set forth under § 296.11(a) and § 296.41(c) do not apply to a Participating Fleet Vessel operating under an MSP Operating Agreement, provided:
(f) In the event that a Participating Fleet Vessel will be unavailable to participate in the MSP on October 1, 2005, due to an unforeseen casualty to the vessel, a Contractor may offer an eligible replacement vessel. The replacement vessel must subsequently be approved by MARAD and DOD. The replacement vessel must operate under an MSP Operating Agreement in sufficient time to meet the 180 minimum operation days required during the fiscal year to avoid being in default of the MSP Operating Agreement.
Title 46 published on 09-May-2017 04:27
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 296 after this date.