46 CFR 340.4 - Shipping services.
(a) When a defense agency requires shipping services not obtainable through established transportation procurement practices, the following procedures shall apply:
(1) Except during periods of Presidentially-declared national defense emergencies, when requests shall be transmitted to the Administrator, the agency shall transmit a request to the Secretary specifying:
(i) The type of service required;
(ii) The route over which priority of service is required;
(iii) The period during which priority of service is required; and
(iv) Justification for priority use of the requested service.
(2) The Administrator, pursuant to the circumstances specified in § 340.4(a)(l), shall identify vessel operators that can provide the necessary service and issue NSPOs in coordination with the Secretary to those operators directing that priority be given to the movement and delivery of the defense agency's cargo and/or passengers by the type of service specified in the NSPO during the specified period.
(3) Each vessel operator in receipt of an NSPO shall:
(i) Give precedence to the cargoes of the defense agency in provision of equipment, loading, ocean transport and delivery; and
(ii) Coordinate with other operators in receipt of NSPOs applicable to the same priority movement program to ensure movement of the defense agency's cargoes on first available sailings.
(b) When a defense agency has need for vessels employed in commercial service on a continuing basis for national defense operations for a specified period or for the duration of a defense emergency which they cannot obtain through established transportation procurement practices, the following procedures shall apply:
(1) The agency shall transmit to the Secretary, with a copy to the Administrator, a request specifying the kinds of services required, the arrangements under which the agency proposes that the services be acquired, managed and compensated, and justification for allocation of the required vessels.
(2) The Administrator, upon receiving guidance from the Secretary, shall identify vessel operators that can supply the requested services and issue NAOs to operators directing that specified vessels be made available for use of the defense agency for specified periods. As far as practicable, the economic impact will be balanced among operators.
(3) Each vessel operator in receipt of an NAO shall provide vessels in coordination with the defense agency as specified in the NAO.