46 CFR 340.5 - Containers and chassis.
(a) When a defense agency requires priority use of containers and/or chassis not obtainable through established transportation procurement practices, the following procedures shall apply:
(1) Except during periods of Presidentially-declared national defense emergencies, when requests shall be transmitted to the Administrator, the agency shall transmit a request to the Secretary specifying:
(i) The route over which or the area in which priority use of containers and/or chassis is required;
(iii) the approximate time-phased movement requirement in containers and/or chassis of specified sizes and types or in 20-foot equivalent units (TEU); and
(2) The Administrator pursuant to the circumstances in § 340.5(a)(l) shall):
(ii) Issue NSPOs or NAOs in coordination with the Secretary to those container service operators, directing that priority be given to supply of containers and/or chassis against the defense requirement.
(i) Coordinate with the defense agency on schedules for spotting empty containers and/or chassis and for movement of containerized cargoes; and
(ii) Supply containers and/or chassis to the defense agency in accordance with the defense agency's scheduling needs or supply the first available containers and/or chassis if those needs cannot be met.
(b) When a defense agency requires the allocation of containers and/or chassis on a continuing basis for national defense operations, the following procedures shall apply:
(1) They agency shall transmit to the Secretary, with a copy to the Administrator, request specifying:
(ii) The general terms and conditions under which the agency proposes to acquire the needed containers and/or chassis and compensate the owners or operators;
(iv) The locations at which the agency will take possession of the containers and/or chassis and the required delivery schedule; and
(2) The Administrator in coordination with the Secretary shall identify container and chassis suppliers that can supply the required containers and/or chassis, and shall provide, so far as practicable, for balancing the defense agency's requirement against other requirements for containers and/or chassis so as to minimize disruption of inventory distribution, and shall issue NAOs to suppliers, directing the allocation of specified numbers of containers and/or chassis by type for exclusive use of the defense agency for a specified period.
(3) Each container and chassis supplier in receipt of an NAO shall deliver the containers and/or chassis specified in the NAO to the defense agency at the places and times specified in the NAO or separately agreed upon with the defense agency, under terms and conditions agreed upon with the defense agency.
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.