46 CFR § 355.2 - Requirements regarding evidence of U.S. citizenship; affidavit guide.
(a) In order to establish that a corporation is a citizen of the United States within the meaning of section 2, Shipping Act, 1916, as amended, the form of affidavit to be used as a guide is hereby prescribed for execution in behalf of the primary corporation and filing with an application or, if required, subsequent filing within 30 days after the annual meeting of the stockholders (if the primary corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary and contrary to the bylaw provision does not hold the annual meeting of stockholders, the subsequent filing should be annually and related to the date of the original filing) as evidence of the continuing U.S. citizenship of a “person” as defined in section 1, Shipping Act, 1916, as amended, which shall read as follows:
I, __________, (Name) of __________, (Residence address) being duly sworn, depose and say:
1. That I am the ______(Title of office(s) held) of ______, (Name of corporation) a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the State of ______ (hereinafter called the “Corporation”), with offices at __________, (Business address) in evidence of which incorporation a certified copy of the Articles or Certificate of Incorporation (or Association) is filed herewith (or has been filed) together with a certified copy of the corporate Bylaws. [Evidence of continuing U.S. citizenship status, including amendments to said Articles or Certificate and Bylaws, should be filed within 30 days after the annual meeting of the stockholders or annually, within 30 days after the original affidavit if there has been no meeting of the stockholders prior to that time.];
2. That I am authorized by and in behalf of the Corporation to execute and deliver this Affidavit of U.S. Citizenship;
3. That the names of the Chief Executive Officer, by whatever title, Vice Presidents or other individuals who are authorized to act in the absence or disability of the Chief Executive Officer, by whatever title, the Chairman of the Board of Directors, and the Directors of the Corporation are as follows:
4. Information as to stock, where Corporation has 30 or more stockholders: 1
1 Strike inapplicable paragraph 4.
That I have access to the stock books and records of the Corporation; that said stock books and records have been examined and disclose (a) that, as of ______, (Date) the Corporation had issued and outstanding ______ (Number) shares of ______, (Class or series) the only class or series of stock of the Corporation issued and outstanding [if such is the case], owned of record by ______(Number) stockholders, said number of stockholders representing the ownership of the entire issued and outstanding stock of the Corporation, and (b) that no stockholder owned of record as of said date five per centum (5%) or more of the issued and outstanding stock of the Corporation of any class or series. [If different classes or series of stock exist, give the same data for each class or series issued and outstanding, showing the monetary value and voting rights per share in each class or series. If there is an exception to the statement in clause (b), the name, address, and citizenship of the stockholder and the amount and class or series of stock owned should be stated.]
That the registered addresses of ______ owners of record of ______ shares of the issued and outstanding __________(Class or series) stock of the Corporation are shown on the stock books and records of the Corporation as being within the United States, said ______ shares being ______ per centum (______%) of the total number of shares of said stock (each class or series). [The exact figure as disclosed by the stock books of the corporation must be given and the per centum figure must not be less than 65 per centum, except that for a corporation operating a vessel in the coastwise trade, the per centum figure must be not less than 95 per centum. These per centum figures apply to corporate stockholders as well as to the primary corporation.]
(The same statement should be made with reference to each class or series of stock, if there is more than one class or series.)
4. Information as to stock, where Corporation has less than 30 stockholders: 1
That the information as to stock ownership, upon which the Corporation relies to establish that the required percentage 2 of stock ownership is vested in citizens of the United States, is as follows:
2 75% if Corporation is operating in the coastwise trade, on the Great Lakes, or on bays, sounds, rivers, harbors, or inland lakes of the United States; and controlling interest if Corporation is operating solely in the foreign trade, both terms as defined in section 2, Shipping Act, 1916, as amended.
If a corporate stockholder, give information with respect to State of incorporation, the names of the officers, directors, and stockholders in the appropriate percentage of shares held, with statement that they are all U.S. citizens. Nominee holders of record of 5 percent or more of any class or series of stock and the beneficial owners thereof should be named and their U.S. citizenship affirmed.
5. That the controlling interest (or 75% of the interest) 3 in (each) said Corporation, as established by the data hereinbefore set forth, is owned by citizens of the United States; that the title to a majority (or 75%) 3 of the stock of (each) said Corporation is vested in citizens of the United States free from any trust or fiduciary obligation in favor of any person not a citizen of the United States; that such proportion of the voting power of (each) said Corporation is vested in citizens of the United States; that through no contract or understanding is it so arranged that the majority (or more than 25%) 3 of the voting power of (each) said Corporation may be exercised, directly or indirectly, in behalf of any person who is not a citizen of the United States; and that by no means whatsoever, is control of (each) said Corporation (or any interest in said Corporation in excess of 25%) 3 conferred upon or permitted to be exercised by any person who is not a citizen of the United States; and
3 Strike inappropriate language.
6. That affiant has carefully examined this affidavit and asserts that all of the statements and representations contained therein are true to the best of his knowledge, information, and belief.
Subscribed and sworn to before me, a Notary Public in and for the State and County aforesaid, this __________ day of ______________19____.