46 CFR 56.01-10 - Plan approval.
prev | next
(a) Plans and specifications for new construction and major alterations showing the respective piping systems shall be submitted, as required by subpart 50.20 of this subchapter.
(b) Piping materials and appliances, such as pipe, tubing, fittings, flanges, and valves, except safety valves and safety relief valves covered in part 162 of subchapter Q (Specifications) of this chapter, are not required to be specifically approved by the Commandant, but shall comply with the applicable requirements for materials, construction, markings, and testing. These materials and appliances shall be certified as described in part 50 of this subchapter. Drawings listing material specifications and showing details of welded joints for pressure-containing appurtenances of welded construction shall be submitted in accordance with paragraph (a) of this section.
(1) Prior to installation aboard ship, diagrams of the following systems shall be submitted for approval:
(iv) Fuel oil service, transfer and filling piping. (Service includes boiler fuel and internal combustion engine fuel piping.)
(xi) Internal combustion engine exhaust piping. (Refer to part 58 of this subchapter for requirements.)
(xv) Fluid power and control systems (hydraulic, pneumatic). (Refer to subpart 58.30 of this subchapter for specific requirements.)
(xvii) Refrigeration and air conditioning piping. (Refer to part 58 of this subchapter for specific requirements.)
(iii) Other Class II systems only if specifically requested or required by regulations in this subchapter.
(1) The drawings or diagrams shall include a list of material, furnishing pipe diameters, wall thicknesses, design pressure, fluid temperature, applicable ASTM material or ANSI component specification, type, size, design standard, and rating of valves, flanges, and fittings.
(2) Pump rated capacity and pump shutoff head shall appear on piping diagrams. Pump characteristic curves shall be submitted for all pumps in the firemain and foam systems. These curves need not be submitted if the following information is shown on the drawing:
(d-1) Plans of piping for industrial systems on mobile offshore drilling units must be submitted under subpart 58.60 of this subchapter.
(e) Where piping passes through watertight bulkheads and/or fire boundaries, plans of typical details of piping penetrations shall be submitted.
(1) The location of each component for which there is a location requirement (i.e., shell penetration, fire station, foam monitor, etc.) is indicated on the piping diagram;
(2) The diagram includes, or is accompanied by and makes reference to, a material schedule which describes components in sufficient detail to substantiate their compliance with the regulations of this subchapter;
[CGFR 68-82, 33 FR 18843, Dec. 18, 1968, as amended by CGFR 69-127, 35 FR 9978, June 17, 1970; CGFR 72-59R, 37 FR 6189, Mar. 25, 1972; CGD 73-251, 43 FR 56799, Dec. 4, 1978, CGD 77-140, 54 FR 40602, Oct. 2, 1989; CGD 95-012, 60 FR 48049, Sept. 18, 1995]
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.