46 CFR 78.90-1 - Pilot boarding operation.
(a) The master shall ensure that pilot boarding equipment is maintained as follows:
(1) The equipment must be kept clean and in good working order.
(2) Each damaged step or spreader step on a pilot ladder must be replaced in kind with an approved replacement step or spreader step, prior to further use of the ladder. The replacement step or spreader step must be secured by the method used in the original construction of the ladder, and in accordance with manufacturer instructions.
(b) The master shall ensure compliance with the following during pilot boarding operations:
(1) Only approved pilot boarding equipment may be used.
(2) The pilot boarding equipment must rest firmly against the hull of the vessel and be clear of overboard discharges.
(4) Rigging of the equipment and embarkation/debarkation of a pilot must be supervised in person by a deck officer.
(5) Both the equipment over the side and the point of access must be adequately lit during night operations.
(6) If a pilot hoist is used, a pilot ladder must be kept on deck adjacent to the hoist and available for immediate use.
Title 46 published on 2015-12-02
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 78 after this date.