46 CFR Appendix Form FMC-133B to Subpart B of Part 540 - Form FMC-133B to Subpart B of Part 540
1. Whereas ______ (Name of Applicant) (Hereinafter referred to as the “Applicant”) is the Owner or Charterer of the passenger Vessel(s) specified in the annexed Schedule (“the Vessels”), which are or may become engaged in voyages to or from U.S. ports, and the Applicant desires to establish its financial responsibility in accordance with section 2 of Public Law 89-777, 89th Congress, approved November 6, 1966 (“the Act”) then, provided that the Federal Maritime Commission (“FMC”) shall have accepted, as sufficient for that purpose, the Applicant's application, supported by this Guaranty, and provided that FMC shall issue to the Applicant a Certificate (Casualty) (“Certificate”), the undersigned Guarantor hereby guarantees to discharge the applicant's legal liability in respect of claims for damages for death or injury to passengers or other persons on voyages of the Vessels to or from U.S. ports, in the event that such legal liability has not been discharged by the Applicant within 21 days after any such passenger or other person, or, in the event of death, his or her personal representative, has obtained a final judgment (after appeal, if any) against the Applicant from a U.S. Federal or State Court of competent jurisdiction, or has become entitled to payment of a specified sum by virtue of a compromise settlement agreement made with the Applicant, with the approval of the Guarantor, whereby, upon payment of the agreed sum, the Applicant is to be fully, irrevocably and unconditionally discharged from all further liability to such passenger or other person, or to such personal representative, with respect to such claim.
2. The Guarantor's liability under this Guaranty shall in no event exceed the amount of the Applicant's legal liability under any such judgment or settlement agreement, except that, if the aggregate amount of such judgments and settlements exceeds an amount computed in accordance with the formula contained in section 2(a) of the Act (46 U.S.C. 44103(b)), then the Guarantor's total liability under this Guaranty shall be limited to an amount computed in accordance with such formula.
3. The Guarantor's liability under this Guaranty shall attach only in respect of events giving rise to causes of action against the Applicant in respect of any of the Vessels for damages for death or injury within the meaning of section 2 of the Act, occurring after the Certificate has been granted to the Applicant and before the expiration date of this Guaranty, which shall be the earlier of the following dates:
(a) The date whereon the Certificate is withdrawn, or for any reason becomes invalid or ineffective; or
(b) The date 30 days after the date of receipt by FMC of notice in writing (including telex or cable) that the Guarantor has elected to terminate this Guaranty, except that if, on the date which would otherwise have been the expiration date of this Guaranty under the foregoing provisions of this Clause 3, any of the Vessels is on a voyage in respect of which such Vessel would not have received clearance in accordance with section 2(e) of the Act (46 U.S.C. 44105) without the Certificate, then the expiration date of this Guaranty shall, in respect of such Vessel, be postponed to the date on which the last passenger on such voyage shall have fully disembarked.
4. If, during the currency of this Guaranty, the Applicant requests that a vessel owned or operated by the Applicant, and not specified in the annexed Schedule, should become subject to this Guaranty, and if the Guarantor accedes to such request and so notifies FMC in writing (including telex or cable), then provided that, within 30 days of receipt of such notice FMC shall have granted a Certificate, such vessel shall thereupon be deemed to be one of the Vessels included in the said Schedule and subject to this Guaranty.
5. The Guarantor hereby designates ______, with offices at ______, as the Guarantor's legal agent for Service of process for the purposes of the Rules of the Federal Maritime Commission, subpart B of part 540 of title 46, Code of Federal Regulations, issued under section 2 of the Pub. L 89-777 (80 Stat. 1357, 1358), entitled “Security for the Protection of the Public.”
(Place and Date of Execution)
(Name and Guarantor)
(Address of Guarantor)
(Name and Title)