47 CFR § 2.964 - Pre-approval guidance procedure for Telecommunication Certification Bodies.
(a) The Commission will publish a “Pre-approval Guidance List” identifying the categories of equipment or types of testing for which Telecommunication Certification Bodies (TCBs) must request guidance from the Commission before approving equipment on the list.
(b) TCBs shall use the following procedure for approving equipment on the Commission's pre-approval guidance list.
(1) A TCB shall perform an initial review of the application and determine the issues that require guidance from the Commission. The TCB shall electronically submit the relevant exhibits to the Commission along with a specific description of the pertinent issues.
(2) The TCB shall complete the review of the application in accordance with the Commission's guidance.
(3) The Commission may request and test a sample of the equipment before the application can be granted.
(4) The TCB shall electronically submit the application and all exhibits to the Commission along with a request to grant the application.
(5) The Commission will give its concurrence for the TCB to grant the application if it determines that the equipment complies with the rules. The Commission will advise the TCB if additional information or equipment testing is required, or if the equipment cannot be certified because it does not comply with the Commission's rules.