47 CFR § 400.2 - Definitions.
As used in this part -
911 services means both E-911 services and Next Generation 911 services.
Administrator means the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), U.S. Department of Transportation.
Assistant Secretary means the Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information, U.S. Department of Commerce, and Administrator of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA).
Designated 911 charges means any taxes, fees, or other charges imposed by a State or other taxing jurisdiction that are designated or presented as dedicated to deliver or improve 911, E-911 or NG911 services.
E-911 services means both phase I and phase II enhanced 911 services, as described in § 20.18 of this title, as subsequently revised.
Emergency call refers to any real-time communication with a public safety answering point or other emergency management or response agency, including -
(1) Through voice, text, or video and related data; and
(2) Nonhuman-initiated automatic event alerts, such as alarms, telematics, or sensor data, which may also include real-time voice, text, or video communications.
ICO means the 911 Implementation Coordination Office established under 47 U.S.C. 942 for the administration of the 911 grant program, located at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, NTI-140, Washington, DC 20590.
Integrated telecommunications services means one or more elements of the provision of multiple 911 systems' or PSAPs' infrastructure, equipment, or utilities, such as voice, data, image, graphics, and video network, customer premises equipment (such as consoles, hardware, or software), or other utilities, which make common use of all or part of the same transmission facilities, switches, signaling, or control devices (e.g., database, cybersecurity).
IP-enabled emergency network or IP-enabled emergency system means an emergency communications network or system based on a secured infrastructure that allows secured transmission of information, using internet Protocol, among users of the network or system.
Next Generation 911 services means an IP-based system comprised of hardware, software, data, and operational policies and procedures that -
(1) Provides standardized interfaces from emergency call and message services to support emergency communications;
(2) Processes all types of emergency calls, including voice, data, and multimedia information;
(3) Acquires and integrates additional emergency call data useful to call routing and handling;
(4) Delivers the emergency calls, messages, and data to the appropriate public safety answering point and other appropriate emergency entities;
(5) Supports data or video communications needs for coordinated incident response and management; and
(6) Provides broadband service to public safety answering points or other first responder entities.
PSAP means a public safety answering point, a facility that has been designated to receive emergency calls and route them to emergency service personnel.
State means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the United States Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, and any other territory or possession of the United States.
Tribal Organization means the recognized governing body of any Indian tribe; any legally established organization of Indians which is controlled, sanctioned, or chartered by such governing body or which is democratically elected by the adult members of the Indian community to be served by such organization and which includes the maximum participation of Indians in all phases of its activities: Provided, that in any case where a contract is let or grant made to an organization to perform services benefiting more than one Indian tribe, the approval of each such Indian tribe shall be a prerequisite to the letting or making of such contract or grant.