47 CFR 73.860 - Cross-ownership.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c) and (d) of this section, no license shall be granted to any party if the grant of such authorization will result in the same party holding an attributable interest in any other non-LPFM broadcast station, including any FM translator or low power television station, or any other media subject to our broadcast ownership restrictions.
(b) A party that is not a Tribal Applicant, as defined in § 73.853(c), may hold attributable interests in one LPFM station and no more than two FM translator stations provided that the following requirements are met:
(1) The 60 dBu contours of the commonly-owned LPFM station and FM translator station(s) overlap;
(2) The FM translator station(s), at all times, synchronously rebroadcasts the primary analog signal of the commonly-owned LPFM station or, if the commonly-owned LPFM station operates in hybrid mode, synchronously rebroadcasts the digital HD-1 version of the LPFM station's signal;
(3) The FM translator station(s) receives the signal of the commonly-owned LPFM station over-the-air and directly from the commonly-owned LPFM station itself; and
(4) The transmitting antenna of the FM translator station(s) is located within 16.1 km (10 miles) for LPFM stations located in the top 50 urban markets and 32.1 km (20 miles) for LPFM stations outside the top 50 urban markets of either the transmitter site of the commonly-owned LPFM station or the reference coordinates for that station's community of license.
(c) A party that is a Tribal Applicant, as defined in § 73.853(c), may hold attributable interests in no more than two LPFM stations and four FM translator stations provided that the requirements set forth in paragraph (b) of this section are met.
(d) Unless such interest is permissible under paragraphs (b) or (c) of this section, a party with an attributable interest in a broadcast radio station must divest such interest prior to the commencement of operations of an LPFM station in which the party also holds an interest. However, a party need not divest such an attributable interest if the party is a college or university that can certify that the existing broadcast radio station is not student run. This exception applies only to parties that:
(1) Are accredited educational institutions;
(2) Own an attributable interest in non-student run broadcast stations; and
(3) Apply for an authorization for an LPFM station that will be managed and operated on a day-to-day basis by students of the accredited educational institution.
(e) No LPFM licensee may enter into an operating agreement of any type, including a time brokerage or management agreement, with either a full power broadcast station or another LPFM station.