48 CFR 6.302-1 - Only one responsible source and no other supplies or services will satisfy agency requirements.
(2) When the supplies or services required by the agency are available from only one responsible source, or, for DoD, NASA, and the Coast Guard, from only one or a limited number of responsible sources, and no other type of supplies or services will satisfy agency requirements, full and open competition need not be provided for.
(i) Supplies or services may be considered to be available from only one source if the source has submitted an unsolicited research proposal that:
(A) Demonstrates a unique and innovative concept (see definition at 2.101), or, demonstrates a unique capability of the source to provide the particular research services proposed;
(B) Offers a concept or services not otherwise available to the Government; and
(ii) Supplies may be deemed to be available only from the original source in the case of a follow-on contract for the continued development or production of a major system or highly specialized equipment, including major components thereof, when it is likely that award to any other source would result in (A) substantial duplication of cost to the Government that is not expected to be recovered through competition, or (B) unacceptable delays in fulfilling the agency's requirements. (See 10 U.S.C. 2304(d)(1)(B) or 41 U.S.C. 253(d)(1)(B).)
(iii) For DoD, NASA, and the Coast Guard, services may be deemed to be available only from the original source in the case of follow-on contracts for the continued provision of highly specialized services when it is likely that award to any other source would result in (A) substantial duplication of cost to the Government that is not expected to be recovered through competition, or (B) unacceptable delays in fulfilling the agency's requirements. (See 10 U.S.C. 2304(d)(1)(B)).
(b)Application. This authority shall be used, if appropriate, in preference to the authority in 6.302-7; it shall not be used when any of the other circumstances is applicable. Use of this authority may be appropriate in situations such as the following (these examples are not intended to be all-inclusive and do not consitute authority in and of themselves):
(1) When there is a reasonable basis to conclude that the agency's minimum needs can only be satisfied by (i) unique supplies or services available from only one source or only one supplier with unique capabilities; or, (ii) for DoD, NASA, and the Coast Guard, unique supplies or services available from only one or a limited number of sources or from only one or a limited number of suppliers with unique capabilities.
(2) The existence of limited rights in data, patent rights, copyrights, or secret processes; the control of basic raw material; or similar circumstances, make the supplies and services available from only one source (however, the mere existence of such rights or circumstances does not in and of itself justify the use of these authorities) (see part 27).
(3) When acquiring utility services (see 41.101), circumstances may dictate that only one supplier can furnish the service (see 41.202); or when the contemplated contract is for construction of a part of a utility system and the utility company itself is the only source available to work on the system.
(4) When the agency head has determined in accordance with the agency's standardization program that only specified makes and models of technical equipment and parts will satisfy the agency's needs for additional units or replacement items, and only one source is available.
(c)Application for brand-name descriptions.
(1) An acquisition or portion of an acquisition that uses a brand-name description or other purchase description to specify a particular brand-name, product, or feature of a product, peculiar to one manufacturer -
(i) Does not provide for full and open competition, regardless of the number of sources solicited; and
(A) If only a portion of the acquisition is for a brand-name product or item peculiar to one manufacturer, the justification and approval is to cover only the portion of the acquisition which is brand-name or peculiar to one manufacturer. The justification should state it is covering only the portion of the acquisition which is brand-name or peculiar to one manufacturer, and the approval level requirements will then only apply to that portion;
(B) The justification should indicate that the use of such descriptions in the acquisition or portion of an acquisition is essential to the Government's requirements, thereby precluding consideration of a product manufactured by another company; and
(C) The justification shall be posted with the solicitation (see 5.102(a)(6)).
(2) Brand-name or equal descriptions, and other purchase descriptions that permit prospective contractors to offer products other than those specifically referenced by brand-name, provide for full and open competition and do not require justifications and approvals to support their use.
(2) For contracts awarded using this authority, the notices required by 5.201 shall have been published and any bids, proposals, quotations, or capability statements must have been considered.
Title 48 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 48 CFR Part 6 after this date.
- 48 CFR 225.7702-1 — Acquisition of Small Arms.
- 48 CFR 570.405 — Lease Extensions.
- 48 CFR 208.7003-2 — Assignments Under Coordinated Acquisition.
- 48 CFR 15.607 — Criteria for Acceptance and Negotiation of an Unsolicited Proposal.
- 48 CFR 5.102 — Availability of Solicitations.
- 48 CFR 6.305 — Availability of the Justification.
- 48 CFR 206.303-2 — Content.
- 48 CFR 5.202 — Exceptions.
- 48 CFR 6.303-2 — Content.
- 48 CFR 2906.303 — Justifications.
- 48 CFR 2910.002 — Procedures.
- 48 CFR 5.207 — Preparation and Transmittal of Synopses.
- 48 CFR 606.302-1 — Only One Responsible Source and No Other Supplies or Services Will Satisfy Agency Requirements.
- 48 CFR 205.205-71 — Only One Responsible Source.
- 48 CFR 16.505 — Ordering.
- 48 CFR 11.105 — Items Peculiar to One Manufacturer.
- 48 CFR 206.304 — Approval of the Justification.