48 CFR 8.1102 - Presolicitation requirements.
(a) Except as specified in 8.1102(b), before preparing solicitations for leasing of motor vehicles, contracting officers shall obtain from the requiring activity a written certification that -
(1) The vehicles requested are of maximum fuel efficiency and minimum body size, engine size, and equipment (if any) necessary to fulfill operational needs, and meet prescribed fuel economy standards;
(2) The head of the requiring agency, or a designee, has certified that the requested passenger automobiles (sedans and station wagons) larger than Type IA, IB, or II (small, subcompact, or compact) are essential to the agency's mission;
(3) Internal approvals have been received; and
(4) The General Services Administration has advised that it cannot furnish the vehicles.
(b) With respect to requirements for leasing motor vehicles for a period of less than 60 days, the contracting officer need not obtain the certification specified in 8.1102(a) -
(1) If the requirement is for type 1A, 1B, or II vehicles, which are by definition fuel efficient; or
(2) If the requirement is for passenger vehicles larger than 1A, 1B, or II, and the agency has established procedures for advance approval, on a case-by-case basis, of such requirements.
(c) Generally, solicitations shall not be limited to current-year production models. However, with the prior approval of the head of the contracting office, solicitations may be limited to current models on the basis of overall economy.