(a) Except as specified in 8.1102(b), before preparing solicitations for leasing of motor vehicles, contracting officers shall obtain from the requiring activity a written certification that—
(1) The vehicles requested are of maximum fuel efficiency and minimum body size, engine size, and equipment (if any) necessary to fulfill operational needs, and meet prescribed fuel economy standards;
(2) The head of the requiring agency, or a designee, has certified that the requested passenger automobiles (sedans and station wagons) larger than Type IA, IB, or II (small, subcompact, or compact) are essential to the agency's mission;
(3) Internal approvals have been received; and
(4) The General Services Administration has advised that it cannot furnish the vehicles.
(b) With respect to requirements for leasing motor vehicles for a period of less than 60 days, the contracting officer need not obtain the certification specified in 8.1102(a)—
(1) If the requirement is for type 1A, 1B, or II vehicles, which are by definition fuel efficient; or
(2) If the requirement is for passenger vehicles larger than 1A, 1B, or II, and the agency has established procedures for advance approval, on a case-by-case basis, of such requirements.
(c) Generally, solicitations shall not be limited to current-year production models. However, with the prior approval of the head of the contracting office, solicitations may be limited to current models on the basis of overall economy.
[48 FR 42129, Sept. 19, 1983, as amended at 55 FR 25527, June 21, 1990]
Title 48 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.