49 CFR 105.30 - Information made available to the public and request for confidential treatment.
When you submit information to PHMSA during a rulemaking proceeding, as part of your application for special permit or approval, or for any other reason, we may make that information publicly available unless you ask that we keep the information confidential.
(a)Asking for confidential treatment. You may ask us to give confidential treatment to information you give to the agency by taking the following steps:
(1) Mark “confidential” on each page of the original document you would like to keep confidential.
(2) Send us, along with the original document, a second copy of the original document with the confidential information deleted.
(3) Explain why the information you are submitting is confidential (for example, it is exempt from mandatory public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552 or it is information referred to in 18 U.S.C. 1905).
(b)PHMSA Decision. PHMSA will decide whether or not to treat your information as confidential. We will notify you, in writing, of a decision to grant or deny confidentiality at least five days before the information is publicly disclosed, and give you an opportunity to respond.
- 49 CFR 107.711 — Withdrawal.
- 49 CFR 107.111 — Withdrawal.
- 49 CFR 180.501 — Applicability.
- 49 CFR 107.705 — Registrations, Reports, and Applications for Approval.
- 49 CFR 171.6 — Control Numbers Under the Paperwork Reduction Act.
- 49 CFR 107.127 — Availability of Documents for Public Inspection.
- 49 CFR 107.105 — Application for Special Permit.