49 CFR 106.115 - Required information for an appeal.
(a) Appeal of a final rule or withdrawal of a notice of proposed rulemaking. If you appeal PHMSA's issuance of a final rule or PHMSA's withdrawal of a notice of proposed rulemaking, your appeal must include the following:
(1) The docket number of the rulemaking you are concerned about, clearly set out at the beginning of your appeal.
(2) A brief statement of your concern about the final rule or the withdrawal of notice of proposed rulemaking at issue.
(3) An explanation of why compliance with the final rule is not practical, reasonable, or in the public interest.
(4) If you want PHMSA to consider more facts, the reason why you did not present those facts within the time given during the rulemaking process for public comment.
(b) Appeal of a decision. If you appeal PHMSA's decision on a petition for rulemaking, you must include the following:
(1) The contested aspects of the decision.
(2) Any new arguments or information.