49 CFR 107.215 - Application.
(a) With the exception of requirements preempted under 49 U.S.C. 5125(c), a State or political subdivision thereof, or Indian tribe may apply to the Chief Counsel for a waiver of preemption with respect to any requirement that the State or political subdivision thereof or Indian tribe acknowledges to be preempted under the Federal hazardous materials transportation law, or that has been determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be so preempted. The Chief Counsel may waive preemption with respect to such requirement upon a determination that such requirement -
(1) Affords an equal or greater level of protection to the public than is afforded by the requirements of the Federal hazardous material transportation law or the regulations issued thereunder, and
(2) Does not unreasonably burden commerce.
(1) Be submitted to the Chief Counsel:
(i) By mail addressed to the Chief Counsel, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, East Building, PHC-1, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001;
(ii) By facsimile to 202-366-7041; or
(iii) Electronically to the Chief Counsel at email@example.com.
(4) Contain an express acknowledgment by the applicant that the State, political subdivision, or Indian tribe requirement is preempted under Federal hazardous materials transportation law, unless it has been so determined by a court of competent jurisdiction or in a determination issued under § 107.209;
(6) State why the applicant believes the State, political subdivision or Indian tribe requirements affords an equal or greater level of protection to the public than is afforded by the requirements of the Federal hazardous material transportation law or the regulations issued thereunder;
Title 49 published on 09-May-2017 04:41
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 107 after this date.