49 CFR 1244.4 - Sampling of waybills.
(a) Subject railroads shall file waybill sample information in one of the following two ways. (1) Authenticated copies of a sample of audited revenue waybills - the manual system (§ 1244.3(b)). (2) A computer tape containing specified information from a sample of waybills - the computerized system (§ 1244.3(c)).
(b) The Manual System.
(1) The sample of subject waybills shall be as follows:
(2) The expected sampling rates for the manual system are as follows:
|Numbers of carloads on waybill||Expected sample rate|
|1 to 5||1/100|
|6 to 25||1/10|
|26 and over||1/5|
(3) Upon giving the subject roads 60 days notice, the Board may require random serial number endings in lieu of the respective endings shown in § 1244.3(b). These random serial number endings would have the expected sample rates shown in § 1244.3(b)(2).
(4) If the subject waybills have no waybill numbers or serial numbers, or have seriously flawed waybill or serial numbers, then the subject railroad should serialize those documents in blocks of 1,000 or blocks of multiples of 1,000 (e.g., 1, 2, . . . 1,000; 1, 2, . . .) and use these constructed serial numbers for selection purposes.
(c) The Computerized System.
(1) The tape shall be required to conform to the standards and format specified in Statement No. 81-1, Procedure for Sampling Waybill Records by Computer (2009 edition), issued by the Surface Transportation Board. The Director of the Federal Register has approved this incorporation by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 1 CFR part 51. To enforce any editions other than those specified in this section, the STB must publish notice of change in the Federal Register and the material must be available to the public. You may obtain or inspect a copy of these standards from the Surface Transportation Board, 395 E Street, SW., Washington, DC 20423-0001; from the Surface Transportation Board Web site at http://www.stb.dot.gov; or by calling (202) 245-0323. You may also inspect a copy at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call (202) 741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.
(2) The sampling rates for the computerized system are as follows:
|Number of carloads on waybill||Sample rate|
|1 to 2||1/40|
|3 to 15||1/12|
|16 to 60||1/4|
|61 to 100||1/3|
|101 and over||1/2|
(d) Controls and Annual Counts.
(1) Each subject railroad shall maintain a control procedure to ensure complete and accurate reporting for the waybill sampling. All pertinent waybill data shall be included on hard copy waybill submissions including inbound references for transit waybills. All such pertinent waybill data shall be legible.
(2) All subject railroads shall maintain a record of the number of line-haul revenue carloads that terminated on their line in a calendar year and shall furnish this number when requested by the Board.
(3) All subject railroads using the manual system of reporting shall furnish the Board, in accordance with instructions on the Transmittal Form OPAD-2, the total counts of line-haul revenue waybills terminated in each reporting period for the following three categories:
(i) Waybills, with less than six carloads per waybill,
(5) Certification by a responsible officer of the subject railroad as to the completeness and accuracy of sample shall be made once a year in accordance with the instructions on the Transmittal Forms OPAD-1 or OPAD-2.