49 CFR 1580.1 - Scope.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part includes requirements for the following persons. Appendix B of this part summarizes the general requirements for each person, and the specific sections in this part provide detailed requirements.
(2) Each rail hazardous materials shipper that offers, prepares, or loads for transportation in commerce by rail one or more of the categories and quantities of rail security-sensitive materials set forth in § 1580.100(b) of this part;
(3) Each rail hazardous materials receiver, located within a High Threat Urban Area (HTUA) that receives in commerce by rail or unloads one or more of the categories and quantities of rail security-sensitive materials set forth in § 1580.100(b) of this part;
(4) Each passenger railroad carrier, including each carrier operating light rail or heavy rail transit service on track that is part of the general railroad system of transportation, each carrier operating or providing intercity passenger train service or commuter or other short-haul railroad passenger service in a metropolitan or suburban area (as described by 49 U.S.C. 20102), and each public authority operating passenger train service;
(6) Each tourist, scenic, historic, and excursion rail operator, whether operating on or off the general railroad system of transportation;
(7) Each operator of private cars, including business/office cars and circus trains, on or connected to the general railroad system of transportation; and
(8) Each operator of a rail transit system that is not operating on track that is part of the general railroad system of transportation, including heavy rail transit, light rail transit, automated guideway, cable car, inclined plane, funicular, and monorail systems.