49 CFR 173.420 - Uranium hexafluoride (fissile, fissile excepted and non-fissile).
(a) In addition to any other applicable requirements of this subchapter, quantities greater than 0.1 kg of fissile, fissile excepted or non-fissile uranium hexafluoride must be offered for transportation as follows:
(i) American National Standard N14.1 in effect at the time the packaging was manufactured; or
(A) Was manufactured on or before June 30, 1987;
(B) Conforms to the edition of the ASME Code in effect at the time the packaging was manufactured;
(C) Is used within its original design limitations; and
(D) Has shell and head thicknesses that have not decreased below the minimum value specified in the following table:
|Packaging model||Minimum thickness; millimeters (inches)|
|1S, 2S||1.58 (0.062)|
|5A, 5B, 8A||3.17 (0.125)|
|12A, 12B||4.76 (0.187)|
|48A, F, X, and Y||12.70 (0.500)|
|48T, O, OM, OM Allied, HX, H, and G||6.35 (0.250)|
(i) Withstand a hydraulic test at an internal pressure of at least 1.4 MPa (200 psig) without leakage;
(ii) Withstand the test specified in § 173.465(c) without loss or dispersal of the uranium hexafluoride; and
(4) Uranium hexafluoride must be in solid form.
(5) The volume of solid uranium hexafluoride, except solid depleted uranium hexafluoride, at 20 °C (68 °F) may not exceed 61% of the certified volumetric capacity of the packaging. The volume of solid depleted uranium hexafluoride at 20 °C (68 °F) may not exceed 62% of the certified volumetric capacity of the packaging.
(6) The pressure in the package at 20 °C (68 °F) must be less than 101.3 kPa (14.7 psia).
(b) Each packaging for uranium hexafluoride must be periodically inspected, tested, marked and otherwise conform with the American National Standard N14.1.
(c) Each repair to a packaging for uranium hexafluoride must be performed in accordance with the American National Standard N14.1.
(d) Uranium hexafluoride not exceeding the limits specified in the limited quantity package limits column of table 4 in § 173.425 may be classified as UN 3507, Uranium hexafluoride, radioactive material, excepted package, less than 0.1 kg (0.22 pounds) per package, non-fissile or fissile-excepted, provided that:
(1) The mass of uranium hexafluoride in the package is less than 0.1 kg (0.22 pounds); and
(2) The conditions of §§ 173.24, 173.24a, and 173.421(a) and (d) are met.
(e) For a package containing 0.1 kg or more of UF6, the proper shipping name and UN number “Radioactive material, uranium hexafluoride, UN 2978” must be used for the transportation of non-fissile or fissile-excepted uranium hexafluoride and the proper shipping name and UN number “Radioactive material, uranium hexafluoride, fissile, UN 2977” must be used for the transport of fissile uranium hexafluoride.
Title 49 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 173 after this date.