49 CFR 173.427 - Transport requirements for low specific activity (LSA) Class 7 (radioactive) material and surface contaminated objects (SCO).
(1) The external dose rate may not exceed an external radiation level of 10 mSv/h (1 rem/h) at 3 m (10 feet) from the unshielded material;
(v) The shipment must be placarded in accordance with subpart F of part 172 of this subchapter;
(vi) For domestic transportation only, packaged and un packaged Class 7 (radioactive) material containing less than an A2 quantity are excepted from the marking and labeling requirements of this subchapter, other than the subsidiary hazard labeling required in § 172.402(d). However, the exterior of each package or un packaged Class 7 (radioactive) material must be stenciled or otherwise marked “RADIOACTIVE - LSA” or “RADIOACTIVE - SCO”, as appropriate, and packages or un packaged Class 7 (radioactive) material that contain a hazardous substance must be stenciled or otherwise marked with the letters “RQ” in association with the description in this paragraph (a)(6)(vi); and
(c) LSA-I material and SCO-I may be transported unpackaged under the following conditions:
(1) All unpackaged material, other than ores containing only naturally occurring radionuclides, must be transported in such a manner that under routine conditions of transport there will be no escape of the radioactive contents from the conveyance nor will there be any loss of shielding;
(2) Each conveyance must be under exclusive use, except when only transporting SCO-I on which the contamination on the accessible and the inaccessible surfaces is not greater than 4.0 Bq/cm 2 for beta and gamma emitters and low toxicity alpha emitters and 0.4 Bq/cm 2 for all other alpha emitters;
(3) For SCO-I where it is reasonable to suspect that non-fixed contamination may exist on inaccessible surfaces in excess of the values specified in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, measures shall be taken to ensure that the radioactive material is not released into the conveyance or to the environment; and
(e) Tables 5 and 6 are as follows:
Table 5 - Conveyance Activity Limits for LSA Material and SCO
|Nature of material||Activity limit for conveyances other than by inland waterway||Activity limit for hold or compartment of an inland waterway
|1. LSA-I||No limit||No limit.|
|2. LSA-II and LSA-III; Non-combustible solids||No limit||100 A2.|
|3. LSA-II and LSA-III; Combustible solids and all liquids and gases||100 A2||10 A2.|
|4. SCO||100 A2||10 A2.|
Table 6 - Industrial Package Integrity Requirements for LSA Material and SCO
|Contents||Industrial packaging type|
|Exclusive use shipment||Non exclusive use shipment|
|Solid||Type IP-1||Type IP-1.|
|Liquid||Type IP-1||Type IP-2.|
|Solid||Type IP-2||Type IP-2.|
|Liquid and gas||Type IP-2||Type IP-3.|
|3. LSA-III||Type IP-2||Type IP-3.|
|4. SCO-I||Type IP-1||Type IP-1.|
|5. SCO-II||Type IP-2||Type IP-2.|
- 49 CFR 173.443 — Contamination Control.
- 49 CFR 176.715 — Contamination Control.
- 49 CFR 172.504 — General Placarding Requirements.
- 49 CFR 172.403 — Class 7 (Radioactive) Material.
- 49 CFR 172.400a — Exceptions From Labeling.
- 49 CFR 173.411 — Industrial Packages.
- 49 CFR 177.842 — Class 7 (Radioactive) Material.
- 49 CFR 177.843 — Contamination of Vehicles.
- 49 CFR 174.700 — Special Handling Requirements for Class 7 (Radioactive) Materials.