49 CFR 173.441 - Radiation level limitations and exclusive use provisions.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each package of Class 7 (radioactive) materials offered for transportation must be designed and prepared for shipment, so that under conditions normally incident to transportation, the radiation level does not exceed 2 mSv/hour (200 mrem/hour) at any point on the external surface of the package, and the transport index does not exceed 10.
(b) A package which exceeds the radiation level limits specified in paragraph (a) of this section must be transported by exclusive use shipment, and the radiation levels for such shipment may not exceed the following during transportation:
(1) 2 mSv/h (200 mrem/h) on the external surface of the package unless the following conditions are met, in which case the limit is 10 mSv/h (1000 mrem/h):
(i) The shipment is made in a closed transport vehicle;
(ii) The package is secured within the vehicle so that its position remains fixed during transportation; and
(iii) There are no loading or unloading operations between the beginning and end of the transportation;
(2) 2 mSv/h (200 mrem/h) at any point on the outer surfaces of the vehicle, including the top and underside of the vehicle; or in the case of a flat-bed style vehicle, at any point on the vertical planes projected from the outer edges of the vehicle, on the upper surface of the load or enclosure if used, and on the lower external surface of the vehicle;
(3) 0.1 mSv/h (10 mrem/h) at any point 2 m (6.6 feet) from the outer lateral surfaces of the vehicle (excluding the top and underside of the vehicle); or in the case of a flat-bed style vehicle, at any point 2 m (6.6 feet) from the vertical planes projected by the outer edges of the vehicle (excluding the top and underside of the vehicle); and
(4) 0.02 mSv/h (2mrem/h) in any normally occupied space, except that this provision does not apply to carriers if they operate under the provisions of a State or federally regulated radiation protection program and if personnel under their control who are in such an occupied space wear radiation dosimetry devices.
(c) For shipments made under the provisions of paragraph (b) of this section, the offeror shall provide specific written instructions for maintenance of the exclusive use shipment controls to the carrier. The instructions must be included with the shipping paper information. The instructions must be sufficient so that, when followed, they will cause the carrier to avoid actions that will unnecessarily delay delivery or unnecessarily result in increased radiation levels or radiation exposures to transport workers or members of the general public.
(1) Except for shipments by cargo aircraft only or by seagoing vessel, the sum of transport indices for a non-exclusive use shipment may not exceed 50.
(2) Where a consignment is transported under exclusive use, there is no limit on the sum of the transport indices aboard a single conveyance. The conditions of paragraphs (b)(2), (b)(3), (b)(4) and (c) must be met.
(3) Provisions for shipments of Class 7 (radioactive) materials by air are described in §§ 175.700-175.705 of this subchapter.
Title 49 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 173 after this date.