49 CFR 176.166 - Transport of Class 1 (explosive) materials on passenger vessels.
(a) Only the following Class 1 (explosive) materials may be transported as cargo on passenger vessels:
(1) Division 1.4 (explosive) materials, compatibility group S.
(2) Explosive articles designed for lifesaving purposes as identified in § 176.142(b)(2), if the total net explosive mass (weight) does not exceed 50 kg (110 pounds).
(3) Class 1 (explosive) materials in compatibility groups C, D, and E, if the total net explosive mass (weight) does not exceed 10 kg (22 pounds) per vessel.
(4) Articles in compatibility group G other than those requiring special stowage, if the total net explosive mass (weight) does not exceed 10 kg (22 pounds) per vessel.
(5) Articles in compatibility group B, if the total net explosive mass (weight) does not exceed 5 kg (11 pounds).
(b) Class 1 (explosive) materials which may be carried on passenger vessels are identified in column (10) of the § 172.101 table. They must be stowed in accordance with table 176.166(b).
Table 176.166(b) - Stowage Arrangements in Passenger Vessels
|Class/Division||Samples, explosive||Goods, N.O.S. Class 1||Goods shipped under a specific proper shipping name|
a - As for cargo ships, on deck or under deck.
b - As for cargo ships, on deck or under deck, in portable magazines only.
c - Prohibited.
d - As specified by the Associate Administrator, or the competent authority of the country in which the Class 1 (explosive) materials are loaded on the vessel.
e - In containers or the like, on deck only.
(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, a combination of the substances and articles listed in paragraphs (a)(1) through (a)(5) of this section may be transported on the same passenger vessel provided the total net explosive mass (weight) of the combination of Class 1 (explosive) materials carried does not exceed the smallest quantity specified for any one of the substances or articles in the combination.
Title 49 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 176 after this date.