49 CFR 177.848 - Segregation of hazardous materials.
(a) This section applies to materials which meet one or more of the hazard classes defined in this subchapter and are:
(b) When a transport vehicle is to be transported by vessel, other than a ferry vessel, hazardous materials on or within that vehicle must be stowed and segregated in accordance with § 176.83(b) of this subchapter.
(c) In addition to the provisions of paragraph (d) of this section and except as provided in § 173.12(e) of this subchapter, cyanides, cyanide mixtures or solutions may not be stored, loaded and transported with acids if a mixture of the materials would generate hydrogen cyanide; Division 4.2 materials may not be stored, loaded and transported with Class 8 liquids; and Division 6.1 Packing Group I, Hazard Zone A material may not be stored, loaded and transported with Class 3 material, Class 8 liquids, and Division 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1 or 5.2 materials.
(d) Except as otherwise provided in this subchapter, hazardous materials must be stored, loaded or transported in accordance with the following table and other provisions of this section:
Segregation Table for Hazardous Materials
|Class or division||Notes||1.1 1.2||1.3||1.4||1.5||1.6||2.1||2.2||2.3 gas zone A||2.3 gas Zone B||3||4.1||4.2||4.3||5.1||5.2||6.1 liquids PG I zone A||7||8 liquids only|
|Explosives||1.1 and 1.2||A||*||*||*||*||*||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Very insensitive explosives||1.5||A||*||*||*||*||*||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Extremely insensitive explosives||1.6||*||*||*||*||*|
|Non-toxic, non-flammable gases||2.2||X||X|
|Poisonous gas Zone A||2.3||X||X||O||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Poisonous gas Zone B||2.3||X||X||O||X||O||O||O||O||O||O||O||O|
|Spontaneously combustible materials||4.2||X||X||O||X||X||O||X||X|
|Dangerous when wet materials||4.3||X||X||X||X||O||X||O|
|Poisonous liquids PG I Zone A||6.1||X||X||O||X||O||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
(e) lnstructions for using the segregation table for hazardous materials are as follows:
(2) The letter “X” in the table indicates that these materials may not be loaded, transported, or stored together in the same transport vehicle or storage facility during the course of transportation.
(3) The letter “O” in the table indicates that these materials may not be loaded, transported, or stored together in the same transport vehicle or storage facility during the course of transportation unless separated in a manner that, in the event of leakage from packages under conditions normally incident to transportation, commingling of hazardous materials would not occur. Notwithstanding the methods of separation employed, Class 8 (corrosive) liquids may not be loaded above or adjacent to Class 4 (flammable) or Class 5 (oxidizing) materials; except that shippers may load truckload shipments of such materials together when it is known that the mixture of contents would not cause a fire or a dangerous evolution of heat or gas.
(5) The note “A” in the second column of the table means that, notwithstanding the requirements of the letter “X”, ammonium nitrate (UN1942) and ammonium nitrate fertilizer may be loaded or stored with Division 1.1 (explosive) or Division 1.5 materials, unless otherwise prohibited by § 177.835(c).
(6) When the § 172.101 table or § 172.402 of this subchapter requires a package to bear a subsidiary hazard label, segregation appropriate to the subsidiary hazard must be applied when that segregation is more restrictive than that required by the primary hazard. However, hazardous materials of the same class may be stowed together without regard to segregation required for any secondary hazard if the materials are not capable of reacting dangerously with each other and causing combustion or dangerous evolution of heat, evolution of flammable, poisonous, or asphyxiant gases, or formation of corrosive or unstable materials.
(f) Class 1 (explosive) materials shall not be loaded, transported, or stored together, except as provided in this section, and in accordance with the following table:
Compatibility Table For Class 1 (Explosive) Materials
(g) Instructions for using the compatibility table for Class 1 (explosive) materials are as follows:
(1) A blank space in the table indicates that no restrictions apply.
(3) The numbers in the table mean the following:
(ii) “2” means any combination of explosives from compatibility groups C, D, or E is assigned to compatibility group E.
(iii) “3” means any combination of explosives from compatibility groups C, D, or E with those in compatibility group N is assigned to compatibility group D.
(vi) “6” means explosive articles in compatibility group G, other than fireworks and those requiring special handling, may be loaded, transported and stored with other explosive articles of compatibility groups C, D and E, provided that explosive substances (such as those not contained in articles) are not carried in the same transport vehicle.
(h) Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, explosives of the same compatibility group but of different divisions may be transported together provided that the whole shipment is transported as though its entire contents were of the lower numerical division (i.e., Division 1.1 being lower than Division 1.2). For example, a mixed shipment of Division 1.2 (explosive) materials and Division 1.4 (explosive) materials, both of compatibility group D, must be transported as Division 1.2 (explosive) materials.
(i) When Division 1.5 materials, compatibility group D, are transported in the same freight container as Division 1.2 (explosive) materials, compatibility group D, the shipment must be transported as Division 1.1 (explosive) materials, compatibility group D.
Title 49 published on 20-Apr-2018 04:01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 177 after this date.
- 49 CFR 177.838 — Class 4 (Flammable Solid) Materials, Class 5 (Oxidizing) Materials, and Division 4.2 (Self-Heating and Pyrophoric Liquid) Materials.
- 49 CFR 177.840 — Class 2 (Gases) Materials.
- 49 CFR 173.157 — Reverse Logistics - General Requirements and Exceptions for Reverse Logistics.
- 49 CFR 177.841 — Division 6.1 and Division 2.3 Materials.
- 49 CFR 173.226 — Materials Poisonous by Inhalation, Division 6.1, Packing Group I, Hazard Zone A.
- 49 CFR 172.102 — Special Provisions.
- 49 CFR 173.448 — General Transportation Requirements.
- 49 CFR 177.848 — Segregation of Hazardous Materials.
- 49 CFR 172.404 — Labels for Mixed and Consolidated Packaging.