49 CFR 178.508 - Standards for fiber drums.
(a) The identification code for a fiber drum is 1G.
(b) Construction requirements for fiber drums are as follows:
(1) The body of the drum must be constructed of multiple plies of heavy paper or fiberboard (without corrugations) firmly glued or laminated together and may include one or more protective layers of bitumen, waxed kraft paper, metal foil, plastic material, or similar materials.
(2) Heads must be of natural wood, fiberboard, metal, plywood, plastics, or other suitable material and may include one or more protective layers of bitumen, waxed kraft paper, metal foil, plastic material, or similar material.
(3) The body and heads of the drum and their joints must be of a design appropriate to the capacity and intended use of the drum.
(4) The assembled packaging must be sufficiently water-resistant so as not to delaminate under normal conditions of transport.
(5) Maximum capacity of drum: 450 L (119 gallons).
(6) Maximum net mass: 400 kg (882 pounds).