49 CFR § 195.254 - Above ground components.
(a) Any component may be installed above ground in the following situations, if the other applicable requirements of this part are complied with:
(1) Overhead crossings of highways, railroads, or a body of water.
(2) Spans over ditches and gullies.
(3) Scraper traps or block valves.
(4) Areas under the direct control of the operator.
(5) In any area inaccessible to the public.
(b) Each component covered by this section must be protected from the forces exerted by the anticipated loads.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.