49 CFR § 215.3 - Application.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, this part applies to each railroad freight car in service on:
(1) Standard gage track of a railroad; or
(2) Any other standard gage track while the car is being operated by, or is otherwise under the control of, a railroad.
(1) Owned by a Canadian or Mexican Railroad; and
(2) Having a Canadian or Mexican reporting mark and car number.
(c) This part does not apply to a railroad freight car that is:
(1) Operated solely on track inside an industrial or other non-railroad installation; or
(3) Maintenance-of-way equipment (including self-propelled maintenance-of-way equipment) if that equipment is not used in revenue service and is stenciled in accordance with § 215.305 of this part.
(4) Operated in a passenger train and that is inspected, tested, maintained, and operated pursuant to the requirements contained in part 238 of this chapter.