49 CFR 260.53 - Lenders' functions and responsibilities.
Lenders have the primary responsibility for the successful delivery of the program consistent with the policies and procedures outlined in this part. All Lenders obtaining or requesting a loan guarantee from the Administrator are responsible for:
(a) Loan processing. Lender shall be responsible for all aspects of loan processing, including:
(1) Processing applications for the loan to be guaranteed;
(2) Developing and maintaining adequately documented loan files;
(3) Recommending only loan proposals that are eligible and financially feasible;
(4) Obtaining valid evidence of debt and collateral in accordance with sound lending practices;
(5) Supervising construction, where appropriate;
(6) Distributing loan funds;
(7) Servicing guaranteed loans in a prudent manner, including liquidation if necessary; and
(8) Obtaining the Administrator's approval or concurrence as required in the loan guarantee documentation;
(b) Credit evaluation. Lender must analyze all credit factors associated with each proposed loan and apply its professional judgment to determine that the credit factors, considered in combination, ensure loan repayment. The Lender must have an adequate underwriting process to ensure that loans are reviewed by other than the originating officer. There must be good credit documentation procedures;
(c) Environmental responsibilities. Lender has a responsibility to become familiar with Federal environmental requirements; to consider, in consultation with the prospective borrower, the potential environmental impacts of their proposals at the earliest planning stages; and to develop proposals that minimize the potential to adversely impact the environment. Lender must alert the Administrator to any controversial environmental issues related to a proposed project or items that may require extensive environmental review. Lender must assist borrowers as necessary to comply with the environmental requirements outlined in this part. Additionally, Lender will assist in the collection of additional data when the Agency needs such data to complete its environmental review of the proposal; and assist in the resolution of environmental problems;
(d) Loan closing. The Lender will conduct or arrange for loan closings; and
(e) Fees and charges. The Lender may establish charges and fees for the loan provided they are similar to those normally charged other Applicants for the same type of loan in the ordinary course of business.