49 CFR 385.402 - What definitions are used in this subpart?
(a) The definitions in parts 390 and 385 of this chapter apply to this subpart, except where otherwise specifically noted.
(b) As used in this part,
Hazardous material has the same meaning as under § 171.8 of this title: A substance or material that the Secretary of Transportation has determined is capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce, and has designated as hazardous under Sec. 5103 of Federal hazardous materials transportation law (49 U.S.C. 5103). The term includes hazardous substances, hazardous wastes, marine pollutants, elevated temperature materials, materials designated as hazardous in the Hazardous Materials Table (see § 172.101 of this title), and materials that meet the defining criteria for hazard classes and divisions in part 173 of this title.
Hazmat employee has the same meaning as under § 171.8 of this title: A person who is employed by a hazmat employer as defined under § 171.8 of this title, and who in the course of employment directly affects hazardous materials transportation safety. This term includes an owner-operator of a motor vehicle that transports hazardous materials in commerce. This term includes an individual who, during the course of employment:
(1) Loads, unloads, or handles hazardous materials;
(2) Manufactures, tests, reconditions, repairs, modifies, marks, or otherwise represents containers, drums, or packaging as qualified for use in the transportation of hazardous materials;
(3) Prepares hazardous materials for transportation;
(4) Is responsible for the safe transportation of hazardous materials; or
(5) Operates a vehicle used to transport hazardous materials.
Shipment means the offering or loading of hazardous materials at one loading facility using one transport vehicle, or the transport of that transport vehicle.