49 CFR 393.106 - What are the general requirements for securing articles of cargo?
(a)Applicability. The rules in this section are applicable to the transportation of all types of articles of cargo, except commodities in bulk that lack structure or fixed shape (e.g., liquids, gases, grain, liquid concrete, sand, gravel, aggregates) and are transported in a tank, hopper, box, or similar device that forms part of the structure of a commercial motor vehicle. The rules in this section apply to the cargo types covered by the commodity-specific rules of § 393.116 through § 393.136. The commodity-specific rules take precedence over the general requirements of this section when additional requirements are given for a commodity listed in those sections.
(c)Cargo placement and restraint.
(1) Articles of cargo that are likely to roll must be restrained by chocks, wedges, a cradle or other equivalent means to prevent rolling. The means of preventing rolling must not be capable of becoming unintentionally unfastened or loose while the vehicle is in transit.
(2) Articles or cargo placed beside each other and secured by transverse tiedowns must either:
(i) Be placed in direct contact with each other, or
(ii) Be prevented from shifting towards each other while in transit.
(d)Aggregate working load limit for tiedowns. The aggregate working load limit of tiedowns used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half times the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of:
(2) One-half the working load limit of each tiedown that is attached to an anchor point on the vehicle, passes through, over, or around the article of cargo, and is then attached to an anchor point on the same side of the vehicle.
(3) The working load limit for each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle, through, over, or around the article of cargo, and then attaches to another anchor point on the other side of the vehicle.
Title 49 published on 16-Dec-2017 04:00
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 393 after this date.
- 49 CFR 393.110 — What Else Do I Have to Do to Determine the Minimum Number of Tiedowns?
- 49 CFR 571.121 — Standard No. 121; Air Brake Systems.
- 49 CFR 393.5 — Definitions.
- 49 CFR 173.315 — Compressed Gases in Cargo Tanks and Portable Tanks.
- 49 CFR 393.102 — What Are the Minimum Performance Criteria for Cargo Securement Devices and Systems?
- 49 CFR 173.5a — Oilfield Service Vehicles, Mechanical Displacement Meter Provers, and Roadway Striping Vehicles Exceptions.