49 CFR § 543.6 - Petition: Specific content requirements.
(a) Each petition for exemption filed under this part must include:
(1) A statement that an antitheft device will be installed as standard equipment on all vehicles in the line for which an exemption is sought;
(2) A list naming each component in the antitheft system, and a diagram showing the location of each of those components within the vehicle;
(3) A discussion that explains the means and process by which the device is activated and functions, including any aspect of the device designed to -
(i) Facilitate or encourage its activation by motorists,
(ii) Attract attention to the efforts of an unauthorized person to enter or move a vehicle by means other than a key,
(iii) Prevent defeating or circumventing the device by an unauthorized person attempting to enter a vehicle by means other than a key,
(iv) Prevent the operation of a vehicle which an unauthorized person has entered using means other than a key, and
(v) Ensure the reliability and durability of the device;
(4) The reasons for the petitioner's belief that the antitheft device will be effective in reducing and deterring motor vehicle theft, including any theft data and other data that are available to the petitioner and form a basis for that belief;
(5) The reasons for the petitioner's belief that the agency should determine that the antitheft device is likely to be as effective as compliance with the parts-marking requirements of part 541 in reducing and deterring motor vehicle theft, including any statistical data that are available to the petitioner and form a basis for petitioner's belief that a line of passenger motor vehicles equipped with the antitheft device is likely to have a theft rate equal to or less than that of passenger motor vehicles of the same, or a similar, line which have parts marked in compliance with part 541.
(b) Any petitioner submitting data under paragraph (a) (4) or (5) of this section shall submit an explanation of its belief that the data are sufficiently representative and reliable to warrant NHTSA's reliance upon them.