49 CFR 577.11 - Reimbursement notification.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (e) of this section, when a manufacturer of motor vehicles or replacement equipment is required to provide notice in accordance with §§ 577.5 or 577.6, in addition to complying with other sections of this part, the manufacturer shall notify owners that they may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of a problem associated with a defect or noncompliance consistent with the manufacturer's reimbursement plan submitted to NHTSA pursuant to §§ 573.6(c)(8)(i) and 573.13 of this chapter.
(b) The manufacturer's notification shall include a statement, following the items required by § 577.5 or § 577.6, that
(c) The information referred to in § 577.11(b)(2) of this part shall be provided in one of the following ways:
(1) In an enclosure to the notification under § 577.5 or § 577.6 that provides the information described in § 577.11(d), consistent with the manufacturer's reimbursement plan; or
(2) Through a toll-free telephone number (with TTY capability) identified in the notification that provides the information described in § 577.11(d), consistent with the manufacturer's reimbursement plan.
(3) For notifications of defects or noncompliances in item of motor vehicle equipment that are in a form other than a letter to a specific owner or purchaser, if the manufacturer does not otherwise maintain a toll-free telephone number for the use of consumers, the manufacturer may refer claimants to a non-toll-free telephone number (with TTY capability) if it also specifies a mailing address at which owners can obtain the relevant information regarding the manufacturer's reimbursement plan.
(1) Identify the vehicle and/or equipment that is the subject of the recall and the underlying problem;
(2) State that the manufacturer has a program for reimbursing pre-notification remedies and identify the type of remedy eligible for reimbursement;
(3) Identify any limits on the time period in which the repair or replacement of the recalled vehicle or equipment must have occurred;
(4) Identify any restrictions on eligibility for reimbursement that the manufacturer is imposing (as limited by § 573.13 (d) of this chapter);
(7) Identify the office and address of the manufacturer where a claim can be submitted by mail and any authorized dealers or facilities where a claimant may submit a claim for reimbursement.
(e) The manufacturer is not required to provide notification regarding reimbursement under this section if NHTSA finds, based upon a written request by a manufacturer accompanied by supporting information, views, and arguments, that all covered vehicles are under warranty or that no person would be eligible for reimbursement under § 573.13 of this chapter.
[67 FR 64065, Oct. 17, 2002]
Title 49 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.