5 CFR 297.301 - General provisions.
(a) Individuals may request, in writing, the amendment of their records maintained in an Office system of records by contacting the appropriate system manager. The Office or agency will require proof of identity from a requester. The Office or agency reserves the right to determine the adequacy of any such proof. The general identifying items the Office will require a requester to provide when a request is made to the Office are -
(1) Full name, signature, and home address;
(2) Social security number (for systems of records that include this identifier);
(3) Current or last place and dates of Federal employment, when appropriate; and
(4) Date and place of birth.
(b) An individual may be represented by another party when requesting amendment of records.
(c) A request for amendment should include the following:
(1) The precise identification of the records to be amended;
(2) The identification of the specific material to be deleted, added, or changed; and
(3) A statement of the reasons for the request, including all available material substantiating the request.
(e) A request for administrative review of an agency denial to amend a record in the Office's systems of records should be addressed to the Assistant Director for Workforce Information, Personnel Systems and Oversight Group, U.S. Office of Personnel Management, 1900 E Street NW., Washington, DC 20415.
(f) A request for administrative review of a denial to amend a record by an Office official should be addressed to the Information and Privacy Appeals Counsel, Office of the General Counsel, U.S. Office of Personnel Management, 1900 E Street NW., Washington, DC 20415.
(g) The burden of proof demonstrating the appropriateness of the requested amendment rests with the requester; and, the requester must provide relevant and convincing evidence in support of the request.