5 CFR 432.102 - Coverage.
(b) Actions excluded. This part does not apply to:
(1) The reduction in grade of a supervisor or manager who has not completed the probationary period under 5 U.S.C. 3321(a)(2) if such a reduction is based on supervisory or managerial performance and the reduction is to the grade held immediately before becoming a supervisor or manager in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 3321(b);
(3) The reduction in grade or removal of an employee in the competitive service serving in an appointment that requires no probationary or trial period who has not completed 1 year of current continuous employment in the same or similar position under other than a temporary appointment limited to 1 year or less;
(5) An action imposed by the Merit Systems Protection Board under the authority of 5 U.S.C. 1206;
(6) An action taken under 5 U.S.C. 7521 against an administrative law judge;
(7) An action taken under 5 U.S.C. 7532 in the interest of national security;
(8) An action taken under a provision of statute, other than one codified in title 5 of the U.S. Code, which excepts the action from the provisions of title 5 of the U.S. Code;
(9) A removal from the Senior Executive Service to a civil service position outside the Senior Executive Service under part 359 of this chapter;
(10) A reduction-in-force governed by part 351 of this chapter;
(11) A voluntary action by the employee;
(12) A performance-based action taken under part 752 of this chapter;
(13) An action that terminates a temporary or term promotion and returns the employee to the position from which temporarily promoted, or to a different position of equivalent grade and pay if the agency informed the employee that it was to be of limited duration;
(14) A termination in accordance with terms specified as conditions of employment at the time the appointment was made; and
(15) An involuntary retirement because of disability under part 831 of this chapter.
(c) Agencies covered. This part applies to:
(1) The executive departments listed at 5 U.S.C. 101;
(2) The military departments listed at 5 U.S.C. 102;
(3) Independent establishments in the executive branch as described at 5 U.S.C. 104, except for a Government corporation; and
(4) The Government Printing Office.
(d) Agencies excluded. This part does not apply to:
(1) A Government corporation;
(2) The Central Intelligence Agency;
(3) The Defense Intelligence Agency;
(4) The National Security Agency;
(5) Any executive agency or unit thereof which is designated by the President and the principal function of which is the conduct of foreign intelligence or counterintelligence activities;
(6) The General Accounting Office;
(7) The U.S. Postal Service; and
(8) The Postal Rate Commission.
(e) Employees covered. This part applies to individuals employed in or under a covered agency as specified at § 432.102(c) except as listed in § 432.102(f).
(f) Employees excluded. This part does not apply to:
(1) An employee in the competitive service who is serving a probationary or trial period under an initial appointment;
(2) An employee in the competitive service serving in an appointment that requires no probationary or trial period, who has not completed 1 year of current continuous employment in the same or similar positions under other than a temporary appointment limited to 1 year or less;
(4) An employee outside the United States who is paid in accordance with local native prevailing wage rates for the area in which employed;
(5) An individual in the Foreign Service of the United States;
(6) An employee who holds a position with the Veterans Health Administration which has been excluded from the competitive service by or under a provision of title 38, United States Code, unless such employee was appointed to such a position under section 7401(3) of title 38;
(7) An administrative law judge appointed under 5 U.S.C. 3105;
(8) An individual in the Senior Executive Service;
(9) An individual appointed by the President;
(10) An employee occupying a position in Schedule C as authorized under part 213 of this chapter;
(11) A reemployed annuitant;
(12) A technician in the National Guard described in 5 U.S.C. 8337(h)(1), employed under section 709(b) of title 32;
(13) An individual occupying a position in the excepted service for which employment is not reasonably expected to exceed 120 calendar days in a consecutive 12 month period; and
(14) A manager or supervisor returned to his or her previously held grade pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 3321 (a)(2) and (b).