5 CFR § 5701.101 - Prior approval for outside employment.

prev | next
§ 5701.101 Prior approval for outside employment.

(a) Before engaging in any outside employment, whether or not for compensation, an employee of the Federal Trade Commission, other than a Commissioner, must obtain the written approval of his or her supervisor and the Designated Agency Ethics Official (DAEO) or his or her designee. Requests for approval shall be forwarded through normal supervisory channels to the DAEO and shall include, at a minimum, the following:

(1) A statement of the name of the person, group, or organization for whom the work is to be performed; the type of work to be performed; and the proposed hours of work and approximate dates of employment;

(2) The employee's certification that the outside employment will not depend in any way on information obtained as a result of the employee's official Government position;

(3) The employee's certification that no official duty time or Government property, resource, or facilities not available to the general public will be used in connection with the outside employment;

(4) The employee's certification that he has read, is familiar with, and will abide by the restrictions contained in all applicable Federal laws and regulations, including those found in 18 U.S.C. chapter 11 and those found or referenced in subpart H (“Outside Activities”) of 5 CFR part 2635 (Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch); and

(5) The written approval of the employee's immediate supervisor.

(b) Approval shall be granted only upon a determination that the outside employment is not expected to involve conduct prohibited by statute or Federal regulation. In the case of an employee who wishes to practice a profession involving a fiduciary relationship, as defined in 5 CFR 2636.305(b), approval will be granted only on a case-by-case basis.

(c) For purposes of this section, “employment” means any form of non-Federal employment or business relationship involving the provision of personal services by the employee, whether or not for compensation. It includes but it is not limited to personal services as an officer, director, employee, agent, attorney, consultant, contractor, general partner, or trustee. Prior approval is not required, however, to participate in the activities of a nonprofit charitable, religious, professional, social, fraternal, educational, recreational, public service, or civic organization, unless such activities involve the provision of professional services or advice or are for compensation other than reimbursement of expenses.

[58 FR 30695, May 27, 1993]

The following state regulations pages link to this page.