5 CFR § 752.201 - Coverage.
(b) Employees covered. This subpart covers:
(1) An employee in the competitive service who has completed a probationary or trial period;
(2) An employee in the competitive service serving in an appointment which requires no probationary or trial period, and who has completed 1 year of current continuous employment in the same or similar positions under other than a temporary appointment limited to 1 year or less;
(4) An employee who was in the competitive service at the time his or her position was first listed under Schedule A, B, or C of the excepted service and still occupies that position;
(6) An employee of the Government Printing Office.
(1) Of an administrative law judge under 5 U.S.C. 7521;
(2) Taken for national security reasons under 5 U.S.C. 7532;
(3) Taken under any other provision of law which excepts the action from subchapter I, chapter 75, of title 5, U.S. Code;
(4) Of a re-employed annuitant;
(5) Of a National Guard Technician; or
(6) Taken under 5 U.S.C. 7515.
(d) Definitions. In this subpart -
Current continuous employment means a period of employment immediately preceding a suspension action without a break in Federal civilian employment of a workday.
Day means a calendar day.
Similar positions means positions in which the duties performed are similar in nature and character and require substantially the same or similar qualifications, so that the incumbent could be interchanged between the positions without significant training or undue interruption to the work.
Suspension means the placing of an employee, for disciplinary reasons, in a temporary status without duties and pay.