5 CFR 831.204 - Elections of retirement coverage under the District of Columbia Financial Responsibility and Management Assistance Act of 1995.
(a) Who may elect -
(1) General rule. Any individual appointed by the District of Columbia Financial Responsibility and Management Assistance Authority (the Authority) in a position not excluded from CSRS coverage under § 831.201 may elect to be deemed a Federal employee for CSRS purposes unless the employee has elected to participate in a retirement, health or life insurance program offered by the District of Columbia.
(2) Exception. A former Federal employee being appointed by the Authority on or after October 26, 1996, no more than 3 days (not counting District of Columbia holidays) after separation from Federal employment cannot elect to be deemed a Federal employee for CSRS purposes unless the election was made before separation from Federal employment.
(b) Opportunity to elect FERS. An individual who elects CSRS under paragraph (a) of this section after a break of more than 3 days between Federal service and employment with the Authority may elect FERS in accordance with 5 CFR 846.201(b)(ii).
(c) Procedure for making an election. The Authority or the agency providing administrative support services to the Authority (Administrative Support Agency) must establish a procedure for notifying employees of their election rights and for accepting elections.
(d) Time limit for making an election.
(2) The Authority or its Administrative Support Agency will waive the time limit under paragraph (d)(1) of this section upon a showing that -
(i) The employee was not advised of the time limit and was not otherwise aware of it; or
(ii) Circumstances beyond the control of the employee prevented him or her from making a timely election and the employee thereafter acted with due diligence in making the election.
(e) Effect of an election.
(1) An election under paragraph (a) of this section is effective on the commencing date of the employee's service with the Authority.
(2) An individual who makes an election under paragraph (a) of this section is ineligible, during the period of employment covered by that election, to participate in any retirement system for employees of the government of the District of Columbia.
(f) Irrevocability. An election under paragraph (a) of this section becomes irrevocable when received by the Authority or its Administrative Support Agency.
(g) Employee deductions. The Authority or its Administrative Support Agency must withhold, from the pay of an employee of the District of Columbia Financial Responsibility and Assistance Authority who has elected to be deemed a Federal employee for CSRS purposes, an amount equal to the percentage withheld from Federal employees' pay for periods of service covered by CSRS and, in accordance with procedures established by OPM, pay into the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund the amounts deducted from an employee's pay.
(h) Employer contributions. The District of Columbia Financial Responsibility and Assistance Authority must, in accordance with procedures established by OPM, pay into the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund amounts equal to any agency contributions required under CSRS.
Title 5 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 5 CFR Part 831 after this date.