5 CFR 842.611 - Post-retirement election of a fully reduced annuity or one-half reduced annuity to provide a former spouse annuity.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, when a retiree's marriage terminates after retirement, the retiree may elect in writing a fully reduced annuity or a one-half reduced annuity to provide a former spouse annuity. Such an election must be filed with OPM within 2 years after the retiree's marriage to the former spouse terminates.
(1) Qualifying court orders prevent payment of former spouse annuities to the extent necessary to comply with the court order and§ 842.613.
(2) A retiree who elects a fully reduced annuity or a one-half reduced annuity to provide a former spouse annuity may not elect to provide a former spouse annuity in an amount that either—
(ii) Would cause the sum of all current and former spouse annuities based on a retiree's elections under§§ 842.603, 842.604, 842.612 and this section to exceed the maximum allowed under § 842.613.
(i) In the case of a married retiree, if the current spouse does not consent to the election on a form as described in§ 842.606(c) and spousal consent is not waived by OPM in accordance with § 842.607; or
(ii) To the extent that it provides a former spouse annuity for the spouse who was married to the retiree at the time of retirement in an amount that is inconsistent with any joint designation or waiver made at the time of retirement under§ 842.603(a)(1) or (a)(2).
(c) An election under this section is not permitted unless the retiree agrees to deposit the amount equal to the difference between the amount of annuity actually paid to the retiree and the amount of annuity that would have been paid if the reduction elected under paragraph (a) of this section had been in effect continuously since the time of retirement, plus 6 percent annual interest (computed under§ 841.107 of this chapter) from the date when each difference occurred.
(d) Any reduction in an annuity to provide a former spouse annuity will terminate on the first day of the month after the former spouse remarries before age 55 or dies, or the former spouse's eligibility for a former spouse annuity terminates under the terms of a qualifying court order, unless—
(1) The retiree elects, within 2 years after the event causing the former spouse to lose eligibility, to continue the reduction to provide or increase a former spouse annuity for another former spouse, or to provide or increase a current spouse annuity; or
(e) The amount of the reduction to provide one or more former spouse annuities or a combination of a current spouse annuity and one or more former spouse annuities under this section equals—
(1) Ten percent of the employee's or Member's annuity if the employee or Member elects a fully reduced annuity; or
(2) Five percent of the employee's or Member's annuity if the employee or Member elects a one-half reduced annuity.
[52 FR 2061, Jan. 16, 1987, as amended at 57 FR 54680, Nov. 20, 1992]
Title 5 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 5 CFR Part 842.