50 CFR 12.36 - Donation or loan.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, wildlife and plants may be donated or loaned for scientific, educational, or public display purposes to any person who demonstrates the ability to provide adequate care and security for the item.
(b) Any donation or loan may be made only after execution of a transfer document between the Director and the donee/borrower, which is subject to the following conditions:
(1) The purpose for which the wildlife or plants are to be used must be stated on the transfer document;
(2) Any attempt by the donee/borrower to use the donation or loan for any other purpose except that stated on the transfer document entitles the Director to immediate repossession of the wildlife or plants;
(3) The donee/borrower must pay all costs associated with the transfer, including the costs of care, storage, transportation, and return to the Service (if applicable);
(4) The donee/borrower may be required to account periodically for the donation or loan;
(5) The donee/borrower is not relieved from the prohibitions, restrictions, conditions, or requirements which may apply to a particular species of wildlife or plant imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States or any State, including any applicable health, quarantine, agricultural, or Customs laws or regulations.
(6) Any attempt by a donee to retransfer the donation during the time period specified in the transfer document within which the donee may not retransfer the donation without the prior authorization of the Director entitles the Director to immediate repossession of the wildlife or plants;
(7) Any attempt by a borrower to retransfer the loan without the prior authorization of the Director entitles the Director to immediate repossession of the wildlife or plants;
(8) Subject to applicable limitations of law, duly authorized Service officers at all reasonable times shall, upon notice, be afforded access to the place where the donation or loan is kept and an opportunity to inspect it;
(9) Any donation is subject to conditions specified in the transfer document, the violation of which causes the property to revert to the United States;
(10) Any loan is for an indefinite period of time unless a date on which the loan must be returned to the Service is stated on the transfer document; and
(11) Any loan remains the property of the United States, and the Director may demand its return at any time.
(c) Wildlife and plants may be donated to individual American Indians for the practice of traditional American Indian religions. Any donation of the parts of bald or golden eagles to American Indians may only be made to individuals authorized by permit issued in accordance with § 22.22 of this title to possess such items.
(d) Edible wildlife, fit for human consumption, may be donated to a non-profit, tax-exempt charitable organization for use as food, but not for barter or sale.
(e) Wildlife and plants may be loaned to government agencies (including foreign agencies) for official use. Each transfer and the terms of the transfer must be documented.
Title 50 published on 10-May-2017 04:10
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 50 CFR Part 12 after this date.